• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Have folks had much luck with tele-therapy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all my therapist has done for the last 3 years. There are pros and cons, I think. I never liked driving to my T's office--took 45 minutes or more--and I like that I can just sign on and then sign off and go about my business. I also would not be able to go at all at this point, because I work 8-5, but with therapy online, I can arrange to do it at lunch.

As for the actual "therapy," there are times it works and times it doesn't. I suspect it all depends on the therapist and how comfortable you are with working over the internet.

Welcome, btw!

Same here: my T has been online since March 2020.

Pros:
Easier to fit into the day.
No traveling there and back, so saving on that cost and time.
Leaving therapy: I'm just in my room and don't have to get on public transport and compose myself enough for it after a heavy session.
I still feel connection and can communicate.

Cons:
When internet is down and there are connection difficulties. Big big big con.
Not being in the same room as her. I do miss that.
Feeling shy about how I look on screen.

Years ago I used phones to hit up therapists I liked for a session or three… whilst I was on another continent… and that’s something I would be perfectly comfortable with, if it wasn’t that -modernly- the entire conversation would be recorded.

Video has the same non-starter recording issue, but also with the downside that I can’t hang upside down smoking a cigarette, or have my feet sticking out of the sunroof, or any of the other moving about I do on phone calls to stay centered/focused/engaged on the call.

So for me, it’s face to face, or nada.

Besides my T recommending face to face, I have an irrational fear of telephones and tele-presence (zoom etc) tech.

Don't know why but my anxiety goes through the roof when not face to face. Makes looking fora new T take time as I need an appointment for a meet and greet....

I will only do tele-therapy from now on. It makes me feel a lot safer. I had to do sessions outside when I did in person because I just didn’t want to be in a room with someone with the door closed. Nothing gets “lost” in online sessions….T notices body language, change in voice, etc.

I am trying it for the first time.
Hi. I live in a place called Lauderdale by sea , your name stuck out. Teletherapy is has been Amazing for me. Less gas mor hassles just to communicate how you’re feeling. Frankly I was wondering why it took so long for insurance to cover it but thankfully they had passed the law right before . I do say it’s important to note that it’s only as good as the therapist you have and how well you bond. The up side is that there is more connivence in looking for the right one of you need to switch. It allows me to travel and still continue getting therapy which is really important to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back