• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Help and a friend to listen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaz09

New Here
I have suffered from severe c- ptsd for 20 years possibly even more. I am only 33 and my mind is racing and I’m being Super vigilant, panic attacks, worst case scenario, flight or fight, protection has been ramped up and my mind is constantly still spinning. I’m under a lot of stress as a registered nurse. Last year I came very close to dying after an overdose. My colleagues looked after me on ICU whilst I was in a coma. I’ve made a remarkable recovery and I am back at work as a theatre nurse but I’m so stressed and I think they are making it so much worse.

Hi, welcome back to the forum.

Can you say more about this? Is it your colleagues' concerns that are causing you more stress?
I think mental health in the NHS is very much going to be a ongoing pandemic, since I have returned I’ve been treated like I am a child or that I lack the intelligence to be able to navigate my way forward at work. Multiple assessments Have been done and adhered to there is no signs currently of damage to my mental cognition. I feel like they need to sit up and listen and not behave in the way they are.

I feel like they need to sit up and listen and not behave in the way they are.
I wish I knew UK systems better (I'm in the US)...is there a way within the workplace that you can get help communicating that? Like, enlist a supervisor to tell your colleagues you've got the 'all clear'? Or, perhaps see if you can talk about how you'd like things to change with one of them, so they can help you speak up in moments when others are watching you with worry?

. I feel like they need to sit up and listen and not behave in the way they are.
Can you sit down with your manager and HR and agree a plan together?
Are you part of the Union?

I don't work in the NHS, but in my place we have all sorts of things to support people. We have a staff mental health group that helps inform our policies. And HR have all soughts of supports. But it's all voluntary. Can't force someone to engage in a mental health assessment if they don't want it.
Is there a way of saying what you need and how you are experiencing it? Maybe they think they are being helpful, but it is coming across to you in another way?

I think mental health in the NHS is very much going to be a ongoing pandemic, since I have returned I’ve been treated like I am a child or that I lack the intelligence to be able to navigate my way forward at work. Multiple assessments Have been done and adhered to there is no signs currently of damage to my mental cognition. I feel like they need to sit up and listen and not behave in the way they are.
Yeah, for what I have experienced with the NHS and mental health it's been an ordeal. Me and my ex had the impression we could try to commit suicide 10 times before it would trigger anything, and their reluctance to prescribe psychiatric medication is very problematic. The quantity of screenings and assessments you have to have even before seeing a therapist, many times just seeing a social worker then a nurse before anything else, is very deterrent of a good psychotherapy. I'm very sorry you're going through this. I since have moved and am following therapy in another country.

That said, depending on where you are you might have some access to charities that seem to be less ding dong than the NHS itself. Depending on the reasons of your trauma I think it's worth having a look around local supporting groups and charities, such as sexual health centres, DV shelters etc. They might have lists of therapists they work with.

I am trying to remain strong, this week has been one of the worst in my life. I am categorically stating that I am of the opinion that they are massively in the wrong. My god I’m will not go down without a fight no one has ever seen before, there weakness was seriously underestimating me.
In the current climate I dread to think what the nurse suicide rate is let alone all of the staff within a hospital.
I will make that stand and I really do not care how It’s done, I am more than happy to go to the papers. I think they need to properly understand the damage they are doing

I am categorically stating that I am of the opinion that they are massively in the wrong. My god I’m will not go down without a fight no one has ever seen before, there weakness was seriously underestimating me.
YES!!!!! Just learn there is a time to fight and a time to heal. When you get to the healing part, take the time you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back