• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Horses! Who are my horse-loving friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotTooLate

Confident
Hi All,
I'm new here and am looking for new friends with a common interest...PONIES!

Horses have saved me from myself for years. They have been my mane (see what I did there?) friends and therapists. They are the ones who hear all of my secrets and dry all of my tears. I honestly don't think I would be here today if it weren't for them.

I'm beyond fortunate to have 3 of them in my back yard. Taking care of them gives me a purpose. Riding them gives me freedom and confidence. Running and jumping with them lets me fly.

If you "get it", I'd love to hear from you!

Never had the chance of owning a horse, but I love them deeply. The sweet smell, the hair, their ways of saying things… Innocent and cooperative intelligence. They truly are wonderful animals and if I’m lucky when I’ll be old enough to have a place I’ll have a horse.
It took 35 years for me to get my first one. I spent many years before that doing whatever I could to be near them. I hope you get yours someday soon 💕🐎

“There’s something about the outside of a horse, that’s good for the inside of a man.”

I was a working student for most of my childhood. We moved all the time so that meant working at a lot of different barns. For a super duper brief period of time I did exercise riding at Del Mar, as I had the leverage needed, at nearly 6 feet, but was only 7 pounds over saddle weight. Even though only for about a year? I picked up a real love for neurotic thoroughbreds / was usually assigned the lunatics and major problems at any barn I worked after that. Shrug. I did very little western riding, though, most of the barns I worked at were some kind of english. Eventing was probably my favorite, but training Lippazaners & Andalusians for battle tricks -crow hopping, sunfishing, targeted lots of stuff- comes a close second. There’s a streak of madness married to steadiness there that keeps things interesting.

After 7 or 8 years in combat zones I had enrolled in a program in West Virginia for Trainers & Farriers... the best program in the country, at the time. Lasted a couple years, including a quarter at the equine veterinary school in Kentucky, for the Trainers track (and a quarter of “the farriers are all gonna laugh at yoooooooou shoeing-for-dummies”). Trunk packed and ready, leaving in a few weeks, & shazaaaam positive pregnancy test. Well, damn. Looks like a change of plan is needed.

I haven’t ridden since. Going on 20 years, now.

I’d just bought a new pair of boots, right before I got divorced in 2012. So it’s not by design, just life.

I love horses! 💛 don't get to see them much but I love them.
Have you tried to visit The Horse Trust? It’s a bit far from London (I might have understood you’re from around there) and they’re lovely. Now with the Corona visits might be a bit discontinued, but I could speak with them back in time and they are really adorable people.

“There’s something about the outside of a horse, that’s good for the inside of a man.”

I was a working student for most of my childhood. We moved all the time so that meant working at a lot of different barns. For a super duper brief period of time I did exercise riding at Del Mar, as I had the leverage needed, at nearly 6 feet, but was only 7 pounds over saddle weight. Even though only for about a year? I picked up a real love for neurotic thoroughbreds / was usually assigned the lunatics and major problems at any barn I worked after that. Shrug. I did very little western riding, though, most of the barns I worked at were some kind of english. Eventing was probably my favorite, but training Lippazaners & Andalusians for battle tricks -crow hopping, sunfishing, targeted lots of stuff- comes a close second. There’s a streak of madness married to steadiness there that keeps things interesting.

After 7 or 8 years in combat zones I had enrolled in a program in West Virginia for Trainers & Farriers... the best program in the country, at the time. Lasted a couple years, including a quarter at the equine veterinary school in Kentucky, for the Trainers track (and a quarter of “the farriers are all gonna laugh at yoooooooou shoeing-for-dummies”). Trunk packed and ready, leaving in a few weeks, & shazaaaam positive pregnancy test. Well, damn. Looks like a change of plan is needed.

I haven’t ridden since. Going on 20 years, now.

I’d just bought a new pair of boots, right before I got divorced in 2012. So it’s not by design, just life.
TBs and eventing are the best! I spent many years as a working student as well. I miss it, at least with some of the trainers ;) I miss the structure and the lessons. Now I have my horses at home and no trainer. I'm in an eventing wasteland, but have been super lucky to go to Aiken, SC for 7 winters. Not this year though, so I'm stuck at home in the frigid cold.
I hope you'll find yourself back in the saddle soon. You already know how therapeutic they are 🐎 💕

Hi All,
I'm new here and am looking for new friends with a common interest...PONIES!

Horses have saved me from myself for years. They have been my mane (see what I did there?) friends and therapists. They are the ones who hear all of my secrets and dry all of my tears. I honestly don't think I would be here today if it weren't for them.

I'm beyond fortunate to have 3 of them in my back yard. Taking care of them gives me a purpose. Riding them gives me freedom and confidence. Running and jumping with them lets me fly.

If you "get it", I'd love to hear from you!
Hello NotTooLate and Happy Holidays. Well, I love horses. I think that is the only good thing my father ever did that benefited my sanity. My family moved out of the big city to a farm in the south in my early teens, and then he got an array of farm animals. Horses included. It was all part of his "act" to look like a normal family. One of the horses was an old pregnant breeding mare who and already had a young foal nursing her. She was saddle broken and came with a saddle. That is I got to ride. Her foal followed us everywhere. We had a river that we could to ride to about 1/4 mile away and did that every day for a whole summer. For one year I loved and cared for my horse. I called her Duchess . Then the following year he sold her. He was a creep and couldn't stand to let me be happy. Knowing Duchess was a light in my life. Horses are beautiful, strong, and incredible creatures.

I rode horses a lot when I was young. Loved them. When I was in college, I lived right next to the horse stables in Brooklyn NY USA. That was a lot of fun. I live in an area of the USA now where there are lots of horses, but none of them seem to be able to be rented for riding.

I do recall giving them carrots when I was a kid. That was a rewarding experience.

Hello NotTooLate and Happy Holidays. Well, I love horses. I think that is the only good thing my father ever did that benefited my sanity. My family moved out of the big city to a farm in the south in my early teens, and then he got an array of farm animals. Horses included. It was all part of his "act" to look like a normal family. One of the horses was an old pregnant breeding mare who and already had a young foal nursing her. She was saddle broken and came with a saddle. That is I got to ride. Her foal followed us everywhere. We had a river that we could to ride to about 1/4 mile away and did that every day for a whole summer. For one year I loved and cared for my horse. I called her Duchess . Then the following year he sold her. He was a creep and couldn't stand to let me be happy. Knowing Duchess was a light in my life. Horses are beautiful, strong, and incredible creatures.
Happy Holidays to you, as well! I'm sorry your dad was a jerk. Taking Duchess away was cruel.
I only got to ride for a couple of summers as a kid and then didn't get to ride again until my amazing husband gave me a gift certificate for lessons when I was in my 30's. After 3 lessons, I was cleaning stalls and doing whatever chores I could to earn more time with the horses. I ended up riding a lot, training and teaching lessons. 20 years later, they are still my passion.
If you're still interested, I hope you get a chance to have another horse at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back