• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you ground yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remind myself where I am. I make myself move my body or make eye contact I have to really force it sometimes to do that. I notice my feet on the ground. That's it really. If it's less intense I usually can ring a friend to talk about nothing important and that helps if I do it early enough. Other people asking me where I am helps too.

Not sure I saw this one back in the list people made: holding a piece of ice, like REALLY holding it tight in your hand. It’s a very drippy thing to do but effective.

On that same line: going from hot to cold.(so in winter if it’s very cold just walking outside with out a coat can help) or even jumping into cool water like a pool.

It’s all a bit of a process, you know? Because it became a default for some.

if food is a go to then keep things that you can reach for that will do some of the things people mentioned: eat something healthy but loud. Celery, carrots, apples . Eat something that will shock your taste buds: lemons
Drink something very hot: peppermint tea
Take your go to and make it work for you instead of causing more problems. Once grounded enough move on to a different way try that out. Keep flexing the muscle and trying different ways and mixing it up.

I practice something called Earthing, and there are many articles and even some scientific journal articles as to why this works. I limit mine to walking around barefoot or practicing yoga poses outside, while barefoot. One important note should someone decide to try this is to make sure the area you are walking or standing in is free of any objects than can cause cuts or abrasions, and definitely make sure you have no open wounds on your feet. It can be challenging in the winter, in colder climates, but with a bit of common sense, it is a way to literally and safely ground.

What are your strategies for grounding and bringing yourself out of dissociation? I so struggle with grounding and dissociation. How do you notice that you are dissociated? What are you doing to come out of your dissociation?

How do you break down your depersonalisation, just a little each day? How do you feel more yourself? How do you connect with your self? How do you know that you are depersonalised?

How do you manage your derealisation? How do you know you are in derealisation? How do you find a place in the world? Do you have any strategies to break down your derealisation, just a little bit each day?
  1. Play a memory game. ...
  2. Think in categories. ...
  3. Use math and numbers. ...
  4. Recite something. ...
  5. Make yourself laugh. ...
  6. Use an anchoring phrase. ...
  7. Visualize a daily task you enjoy or don't mind doing.or
  8. You could try:
    1. breathing slowly.
    2. listening to sounds around you.
    3. walking barefoot.
    4. wrapping yourself in a blanket and feeling it around you.
    5. touching something or sniffing something with a strong smell.

1. Play a memory game. ...
  2. Think in categories. ...
  3. Use math and numbers. ...
  4. Recite something. ...
  5. Make yourself laugh. ...
  6. Use an anchoring phrase. ...
  7. Visualize a daily task you enjoy or don't mind doing.or
  8. You could try:
    1. breathing slowly.
    2. listening to sounds around you.
    3. walking barefoot.
    4. wrapping yourself in a blanket and feeling it around you.
    5. touching something or sniffing something with a strong smell.
Thanks! ❤️ 💛 🖤

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back