I listen to those positive vibrations videos on YouTube. It's like 3-7 hours each of meditation music. Or I listen to the Grateful Dead (hence my misquoted handle haha). I like their live shows the best. There's a whole archive but I also have CDs.
I play music and sing along to the piano or guitar I'm playing. Although sometimes, like today, playing music frustrates me more than helps when I can't get it "right".
This is probably my most out there one, but it helps me the most: I make up stories of characters being helped in exactly what I'm experiencing by some outside figure. Then, I say the things I'd want that outside "authority" figure to say to myself.
I escape into shows I know are safe, or skip hard episodes.
I listen to podcasts I've heard before (new ones sort of are a gamble unless they have trigger warnings). I have a whole library of podcasts I love to listen to.
I pet dogs or cats.
I clean up my room or rearrange things.
I open a door and let the nice outside air into my house.
I make lists. I love making lists.
I think that's all right now. I'm doing some of these now, because I'm currently in an anxiety spell!
Hello, this is a great idea.
* I have some stuffed animals that I love.
* I have a couple of candles -- I don't light them, but I just pick them up and smell them because their scents are comforting
* I will watch my favorite things no matter how many times I've seen them. (I'm in my thirties, but I love Henry Danger; also, Nailed It)
* For my birthday, I went to a class and made my own blanket so now I can wrap up in that.
* If I have the energy (mental energy), I will clean up an area in my apt, makes me feel more in control
* Go for a drive
* I've just started dance fitness with videos on Youtube (again, only if I have the mental energy)
* Listening to music is really big for me.
* I'm about to get into some Korean romance/dramas (it distracts me and some are really fluffy)
* Sometimes, I sleep to rain/storm sounds or with the light on without guilt about running my utility bill up
* I think another big thing is watching what I say to myself -- I give myself the room to be not perfect and not at all -- I even feel better saying, "I'm a basket case right now, and that's okay." Sounds bad, but I think of it in the 80s way, lol.
* And a lot of you already know about how I love to blow bubbles.
I'm sure there is more but that is what I could think of right now.
When feeling anxious, depressed, or unsafe, I cross my arms over my chest and press my body face first into a corner. It feels like being hugged. I imagine a loving mom.
This is a great thread! For me, I like to make a cup of tea and wrap up in a heated blanket. Sometimes I will watch funny YouTube videos of cute animals while I do that or look at Pinterest crafts I want to try.