• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How many people feel like they don't belong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Pink Floyd would say..."...Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earthbound misfit, I."

I've long since painfully learned that "belonging" to external things, as I'd been taught to strive for, is the wrong goal to aim for if I wish to sincerely enjoy the time I have in this existence.

Belonging to self first is where I feel I, and many others, really got tripped up along the way.

Self tends to be the least comfortable place to hang out, that space in our own mind, the place that issues out such hateful self-talk, the place that what ifs everything to death, that judges each move so harshly, that reminds us so often how others didn't/don't value our being or our life, etc....a lot of scary shit goes down in there sometimes, ay?

Now that I feel I'm able to more thoroughly innerstand and relate to (sit with) my own damn self, based on facts this time vs. other peoples' perceptions, I'm much more comfortable being the square cog that will never fit nicely into the round hole known as society, as my truth doesn't seem to fit comfortably anywhere anyway.

Some days it can be frustrating, some days it simply hurts my feelings, other days it can be absolutely infuriating, while other days it can be the most entertaining spirit lifting thing that happens, but no matter how emotional I get about any of it, it doesn't change the outside circumstances or the behaviors of another.

I only have total control over my own inner circumstances...ever...and I still work hard each day continually learning how to most healthily recognize, utilize, and manage all of that control.

I no longer have a burning desire to feel as if I belong to the twisted actions that go down nowadays and are considered to be normal, at all. Many of the things labeled as "normal" are some of the most sickening things taking place.

Hi!! New to this department, I've always hung out in the therapy wing but thought I'd take a...
When I'm driving somewhere & waiting to turn left at a stoplight. It's 5 o'clock traffic and the cars are lined up for as far as I can see, I feel like those people are driving home from work, taking their daughter to gymnastics, their son and his friends to their baseball game, going to their hair appointment, or meeting for their social club...and me, I feel like I am just watching the world go round from inside of my cage made with glass, peering out at a world I do not recognize, maybe have never known, and certainly do not belong.

Love,
the torturedone

My struggle is (this is my self talk- my core being honest)
I know I don't belong but others don't see it. What I mean is if people knew who I was, what I thought, what I have done ( or what I experienced) then they would certainly have no reason to associate with me. No one understands me... I am alone...

then reality check (a big thanks for this forum and my t) Other people have had so many more challenging experiences and I don't hold that against them so why am I so hard on myself. I need to give people a chance and not assume what others will think.

Hi!! New to this department, I've always hung out in the therapy wing but thought I'd take a...

I agree with what donethat written, the biggest challenge people with trauma is to be brave and regain trust in people. To me, the reason why we feel like we don't belong most probably come from our experience if we've been mistreated harshly. So, we lose trust (and I'm sure not in everybody but to some people). And I feel that if you're someone with a trauma or you know someone with trauma and seeking help, then chances are you belong here.

I grew up in a home with alcoholic mother and step-father. I went to meetings for adults who were children of alcoholics (aca). This is one of the characteristics of people growing up in such an environment. I have felt this way pretty much all my life. But ptsd as an adult made it much worse. I also have auditory processing disorder which makes it difficult to understand others and to be understood. And there is some hyperacusis. (may be a symptom of ptsd?) So socializing in noisy environments is very painful and difficult. So I am alone more and more. Vicious cycle...

Yes I too feel I don't belong. I don't fit in with family, friends and people in my community.They all have a part to play. I'm just fumbling through trying to live along side everyone else. Trying to make myself act and think like everyone else. If I tried to be myself I fear I would be alienated even more and be worse. People seem to get along with others similar to them and in my world no one is similar to me therefore no one would want to be part of my world.

Last edited by a moderator:
NotBelonging vs. Doing My Thing difference, for me.

Doing my thing, while still believing I'm believed in by someone out there / what I do is purposeful for someone? Fine, and I ignore obstacles.

NotBelonging & Hate? Gut me every time still the same. Not belonging, while useful & mattering, is fine. I belong to goals & hearts.

I’m with you Tornadic Thoughts! I do want to belong somewhere but not to this “normal” whatev tf that even is?! Society today sickens me, humans are some truly f-ed up animals. Honestly I like being different and these so called normal people...pfft, no such thing. Imo no one is “normal” just varying degrees of sanity & the ability to fake it. Lies!! I say! Ok i’m done. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back