• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is that posible that I developed ptsd symptoms from my childhood trauma only in adulthood (26 yo)

B

Billi

Hey there, Im having really bad symptoms of depression, anxiety, and lately chronic pains. I do have an early childhood trauma that I just got discovered. But when I experience all those symptoms (and the fact that they get worst over time), I ask myself if just life became harder or symptoms became worse. I would love to know if somebody knows weather it makes sense that symptoms of a trauma that happened when I was estimatedly 5 years old, and were almost absent in my early life, can become so bad later in my mid twenties. Im asking this because it just feels to me like life became incredebly unmanagable latlely, so I blame myself for being unable to handle life, than I ask myself if its my symptoms getting worse over time, but I dont know if thats really possible. like maybe thats an excuse for me to not admit that that I can barely handle life and so I find reasons for my depression and anxiety that come from that. I know its kind of scrumbled but this question really hunts me.

Hey there, Im having really bad symptoms of depression, anxiety, and lately chronic pains. I do have an early childhood trauma that I just got discovered. But when I experience all those symptoms (and the fact that they get worst over time), I ask myself if just life became harder or symptoms became worse. I would love to know if somebody knows weather it makes sense that symptoms of a trauma that happened when I was estimatedly 5 years old, and were almost absent in my early life, can become so bad later in my mid twenties. Im asking this because it just feels to me like life became incredebly unmanagable latlely, so I blame myself for being unable to handle life, than I ask myself if its my symptoms getting worse over time, but I dont know if thats really possible. like maybe thats an excuse for me to not admit that that I can barely handle life and so I find reasons for my depression and anxiety that come from that. I know its kind of scrumbled but this question really hunts me.
Yes, my symptoms of child abuse only became worse in my adulthood.

Yup. Lived 45 years between trauma and when it shut down my life.....

Sometimes you can have trauma and it takes a very stressful situation to make it "reappear". Trauma in childhood can be "resolved" and greatly lessened during the changes in puberty. The "PTSD amnesia" wipes it out of conscious memory. There are symptoms that show up but you can't put the picture together - all you have is that nagging feeling something isn't right....

.....and suddenly somewhere down the road we end up in an extremely stressful situation and all the symptoms hit all at once.

At least that's how it happened for me

Generally speaking? Your earliest traumas will create the “pattern” for later traumas.

So… to use a frequent combo… combat vets who had mad early childhood trauma? Usually have to work on their childhood trauma, instead of combat trauma.

Meanwhile? Combat vets who had golden childhoods but later suffer more common domestic trauma? Still usually respond as if it’s combat, instead of DV.

AKA… You’re completely normal.

Whatever the “first” trauma set is/was? Seems to create the cast for any/all continuing f*ckery.

I had panic attacks in childhood, but didn’t know what they were. My official label is ptsd, but didn’t seek therapy or receive that label until middle age. My trauma never seemed that bad to me because I had blocked much of it out. The flashbacks became triggered when my children hit the ages that it happened.

Back