• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Itching / Attacking myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynxx

New Here
In the past when my stress was over and beyond I would have a symptomatic attack, where I would feel itchy all over my body and just continue scratching those itchy areas until my skin became red and raw.
Two weeks ago I went to see my counselor (he let me go last week) and he was asking my questions from questionnaire to rate my ptsd severity. He was asking me to recall all the people that abused me, what ages the abuse happened, Recall in detail what happened. Tell him about dreams I had. -- it was very overwhelming to try and recall all of this in an hours time.i feel like that opened the door to the symptoms I'm having now. Where I'm destroying my skin because something is manifesting inwardly.
Last week the counselor decided I was to complicated for him to manage and wanted to pass me off to someone else. Well, I haven't found any one yet. The person he suggested didn't work out. So now I'm stuck in this state of feeling hopeless. Stuck with demons that I for so long blocked out. Now they are in my face taunting me.

Does anyone else have skin issues with their anxiety, especially in form of itching?

Oh yeah, both my soon to be ex-wife and myself had this. She thought it was shingles for years, but it turned out be eczema. Drug stores sell it a cream that seemed to help her. My hands are almost raw from stress and my brother gave me a prescribed cream that works really well. It feels like it gets better then I get anxiety and I start itching and can't stop on my hand. Not really sure why but my wife's were always correlated with flashbacks. Hope that helps.

Hives - been getting them for a month or more. Starts hands and arms, moves to hips and backside. When they pop up I can get covered in minutes. Itches like crazy but if you scratch, it gets worse.

Talked to my doc, did a full panel allergy panel - nothing showed up. Just taking an antihistamine every few days, because stress is stress is stress and when you stress its bad for the itch and bad for ptsd. But see your doctor first to make sure its not something else and make sure you have no medication issues.

Last week I was in the ER ... one of the things they did was prescribe a med named hydrOXYzine Pamoate. I was told it would work on my anxiety ... I learned that that med is also good for itching. Maybe you could talk to your doctor.

Hope you are doing well today Lynxx

Last week I was in the ER ... one of the things they did was prescribe a med named hydrOXYzine Pamoate. I was told it would work on my anxiety ... I learned that that med is also good for itching. Maybe you could talk to your doctor.

Hope you are doing well today Lynxx
Hydroxyzine usually knocks me out.

Oh yeah maybe not the right med for you ... hope you find something to help ... I imagine itching like that would be unbearable.

Hives - been getting them for a month or more. Starts hands and arms, moves to hips and backside. When they pop up I can get covered in minutes. Itches like crazy but if you scratch, it gets worse.

Talked to my doc, did a full panel allergy panel - nothing showed up. Just taking an antihistamine every few days, because stress is stress is stress and when you stress its bad for the itch and bad for ptsd. But see your doctor first to make sure its not something else and make sure you have no medication issues.
I had an allegry panel done quite awhile back and everything came being not allergic. I was told that the only possible problem was that I had chronic urticaria. No other creams were helping, I was pit on several antihistamines (which only put me to sleep and while I was asleep I didn't itch) but when I was awake I'd itch all the time. Finally I got approved to have xolair injections. I hated getting them because of the waiting in the office for an hour afterwards. It was a precaution because some people will go into anaphylaxis shock from the shot. I continued getting for the for a few months but I didn't see any difference either. It wasn't until I started talking to a counselor that I noticed improvement. The itching was a psychological issue and extreme stress.
In my case this time. I had a counselor who wanted to find out the severity of my ptsd. He asked several questions about my traumas, who were my abusers, what ages was I abused, give him detailed accounts of what happened - all in an hour time frame. I was overwhelmed beyond belief. Then the session ended. There was no closure or anything. Then the next week I went to see him he decided to end our sessions all together.
So I feel like my itching is a manifestion of everything that was reopened and activated. Now I don't have an outlet to help cope with it.

I have bad itches on my scalp or on the legs every time something has happened. The thing stays there for months and it’s painful. How’s your insurance? Can you afford to make research and find a therapist that suits you better? It’s pretty brutal to ask all the details point blank. I frankly hate when they do this.

I have bad itches on my scalp or on the legs every time something has happened. The thing stays there for months and it’s painful. How’s your insurance? Can you afford to make research and find a therapist that suits you better? It’s pretty brutal to ask all the details point blank. I frankly hate when they do this.
Im sorry about the misery you've been experiencing. I've searched for therapists that accept my insurance and I haven't found any that are accepting new clients. So the one I was seeing was a pastoral counselor and he was on a sliding scale and it was very affordable, now I know why.

My itch seems to just be anxiety, right now anyway. I have trouble with dry skin in the winter and particularly my lower legs. It has to do with Addison's because it was never bad before that. That stuff has to be dealt with or I scratch myself bloody in my sleep.

Right now - very stressful situations and even with antihistamines I can be covered in hives in a minute or two.

I found breathe work, exercise, laughter, get conscious of your negative thoughts and challenge them. You don’t deserve to manifest physical symptoms from trauma. We can change this with or without a therapist and from my experience therapists are disappointing. A rare one can connect and direct you out of being stuck and symptomatic. Believe in yourself. You have the answers. Truly. I’m eating plant based diet and challenging my toxic thoughts. 💜🌺 compassion towards ourselves while we renavigate our lives.. celebrate and appreciate even the smallest positive changes set a goal and intention. I want to exercise and feel my best to strengthen my bones and my mind. Exercise can feel like abuse. I have to do self talk while exercising to assure myself this is healing.

EMDR with a certified therapist has brought me so far! I went to a regular therapist prior who had me journal and I filled up 2 and a half journals in excruciating detail- thats when I went into a huge downward spiral- once I did parts work and EMDR with a different therapist man it doesn't require you to talk about it much at all and yet at the same time it is super effect with the reprocessing. Took me close to two years tho to be stable enough to even start the actual EMDR just started last week). It is so important to be with a therapist who understands PTSD- regular talk therapy DOESNT work because, it can almost be like exposure therapy and retraumatize you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back