• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Let's talk suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lagatha, yes, you can get PTSD from a suicide attempt. That certainly does meet criterion A for PTSD, and if the symptoms also are experienced, I would seek alternative diagnosis from a second and even third opinion. Diagnosis is very subjective.

I’m not saying you have PTSD, but diagnosis is very hit and miss for all mental health. It is best guess.

Hi thank you, to clarify, I am not looking for a diagnosis, but just was wondering if people can relate. I will seek a professional therapist. I thought the work was done, but apparently not. That is okay, I feel more resilient now, and need to work through it. It’s awful, feeling so awful most or all of the time.
Thank you for your response Anthony, I will seek some alternative opinions from a professional therapist.

Ive tried more times than I can count. Almost shot my spouse the last time in struggling for the gun. have a better, less dramatic approach next time. practice makes perfect.

I have to wonder if being cut off from outside contact can lead to ideation. Myself for example. I worked up great courage to reachout here. I felt accused and attacked and said so. I got in trouble. As it was I was set off by what I felt was aggression then I was blocked. I spent last night in a meltdown all alone. What if, instead of slamming the door on out of control or in crisis members there was a crisis forum. Banned people could be isolated from the community at large but have acess to someone to talk to, to calm them, to listen. Why isolate someone in crisis? Why not actually try to help?

Tripetina, MyPTSD is not able to run as a crisis support service. We are staffed by volunteers and don’t have the training, the monitoring, or the access to local emergency services for any member. We do support individuals going through hard things – that’s what a peer support forum is for; however, we also require that our posters follow the few simple rules we have around attacking others. You felt attacked – but you weren’t attacked. You lashed back and refused requests to re-direct your aggression elsewhere. When a person dealing with PTSD is that reactive, we need to temporarily give them a cool-off period of time from the forum. Ultimately, a person in immediate, emergency-level crisis is always strongly encouraged to work with their local resources; there are times when 3-D help is needed, not internet support.

“Suicide is not complicated. The preceding ideation is complicated. The aftermath is complicated. The act of suicide itself is simple.”
Unless you’ve successfully done it, how can you “know” whether it’s “simple” or not?
I don’t think the act is necessarily simple at all, but, again, that’s just an opinion. For some reason, to whoever wrote this, suicide seems “simple”. There can be no certainty unless you’re typing from beyond the grave.

Hi, as the author and someone who lived through a suicide attempt at the worst of my depression, suicide the act is simple. Everything that came after, the effect on myself and others around me, that was complicated.

My 26 year old daughter committed suicide last year. She was bipolar, depressed and suffered with addiction. She left behind a beautiful boy who was 4 at the time. He has Nystagmus and Low Vision. His dad killed a 10 year old in a DUI accident and is in prison. We have adopted my grandson and he is my only reason for living. I have Chronic Pain due to degenerative spine disease. I have been on disability from a high stress upper level corporate job. I have a beautiful home, husband and 2 other adult children. I want to die every day, but I hang on for this little boy who deserves so much in life. I smoke a lot hoping maybe I will get cancer and that way my death won’t seem as selfish to others. I keep plugging away waiting for something to change...waiting for God to intervene...waiting for strength... waiting.

A very interesting and meaningful discussion. I wonder how suicide is impacted culturally or in diversity.
I came from a culture where suicide is wrong but not considered mental health issue. I find the latest is what makes it stigma in the western culture. It is so complicated and I do not have the right words to describe but I just took a course in suicide and was extremely overwhelmed with the information.

At the end, I felt, it is just another form of death. Those left behind's hurt and anguish is what makes it harder to discuss in objective way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back