Questionable Med Changes

PlainJane

I’m too close and I can’t tell if I’m being reasonable. I am doing all kinds of trial and error while I am out of work. My psych np has referred me to another psychiatrist because she wants another perspective before she changes my meds. I think they want to rule out bipolar again?? I do not think I am, my therapist does not think I am, psych np is leaning towards no, the hospital thought I was in the beginning of my stay but rescinded before being released.

I’m for it, or was.

I received a call from this new Pysch instructing me to quit the Bupropion (doesn’t do shit for depression but it helps me focus, a must for coursework) and to take more than double the Risperidone (which I have been patiently waiting to be taken off of because it makes me feel dull, dumb and slow. My team didn’t want to make too many changes too quickly). This is without ever meeting, or speaking with me. I was told to make this switch without a conversation as to why.

I am not comfortable with the way he is practicing. The obvious answer is don’t make the switch until I see him. However, am not sure if I should entertain seeing him at all. Why would he make these changes without speaking with me and only relying on his paperwork? It just seems sloppy. I can’t afford sloppy right now, maybe a year ago, but as it stands I need thorough.

I thought about seeing him anyway, because what could it hurt? I am afraid of any power he may have over my care and that my resistance will cause even more unwanted consequences.

Is this usual? Am I being obstinate and obtuse? Or is it as hinky as I am imagining? I do not know if my gut is reliable atm. I’m naturally distrusting(?) of doctors, and hate meds though I try to be open.

There is no way I’d change meds based on someone talking to someone else about their impression of me unless I was driving it and understood why.

I went to an insta care doc who came in having read my complaint and history and he didn’t even ask any questions nor lay his hands on me before pronouncing he knew what was causing my problem. He was wrong. His tests when I insisted on them ruled it out as did my regular doc.

If I was feeling hazy in a med and someone wanted to double them, I’d want a damn good reason as to why. The thing is this guy might be a psychiatric savant and just have zero bedside manner. Can you ask why he wants you to make the changes through some portal? My doctors office has a portal to send questions in lieu of calling and leaving a message and then having to wait until they call back and being magically available. Anything like that here?

I am thankful you agree, I tend to be extra critical of doctors.

I’m always a sucker for a second opinion and would still go see him to see what he’s thinking.

Me too, typically. I just have a bad feeling I think.

Can you ask why he wants you to make the changes through some portal?

No, but I’ve called and left a message. There is a portal normally but they’re changing systems and it’s temporarily unavailable

I went to an insta care doc who came in having read my complaint and history and he didn’t even ask any questions nor lay his hands on me before pronouncing he knew what was causing my problem. He was wrong. His tests when I insisted on them ruled it out as did my regular doc

I hate this so much. Such an unnecessary amount of struggle that could be easily avoided.

I would ring my NP & tell them what has happened, and get THEIR perspective on it… not the least of which being… they should know that someone is making major med changes, without even meeting wih their patient.

It was good I didn't accept the changes, and it was good that I went anyway. He was a humble man who realized the mistake and corrected his actions without prompting. Thanks for encouraging me to go anyway! Apparently, the hospital I stayed at is even worse at organization than I thought; the records he was reading from them contained woefully inaccurate information. I can understand where he was coming from based on what I heard. This proves the point even further, don't make changes without meeting the patient. I have been trying to get the records since I have been out, it has been a hellacious predicament. One of the ladies that was in there with me got her records in two days. I cannot figure out what is going on.

Back