• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Seeking to connect with people who know

O

OpalPheonix

Hi there, just been diagnosed with PTSD. A common experience for me is that I can be surrounded by people and still feel alone. I haven't shared my diagnosis with too many people as I find that people can't cope with that information or they don't know how to respond appropriately. Am presenting in public as a person who is functioning and then crashing into a tired overwhelmed heap when I'm in the privacy of my own home.
It would be nice to connect with others and not feel so emotionally isolated.

hello opal. welcome to the forum.

personally, i feel far more isolated in a crowd than i typically do when i am alone. emphasis on, "typically." the exceptions to that rule are horrifically exceptional. those are the times where my alone time is invaded by hoards of demons from the past.

you are not alone. welcome aboard.

Hi there, just been diagnosed with PTSD. A common experience for me is that I can be surrounded by people and still feel alone. I haven't shared my diagnosis with too many people as I find that people can't cope with that information or they don't know how to respond appropriately. Am presenting in public as a person who is functioning and then crashing into a tired overwhelmed heap when I'm in the privacy of my own home.
It would be nice to connect with others and not feel so emotionally isolated.
I’ve been diagnosed for three years now, unfortunately the uncanny valley of talking about your trauma around people never really got better for me. Finding people that can relate or at least sympathize is important. Have you been out on any medication?

Feeling alone when surrounded by people is such a common experience with PTSD sufferers. I often look around a room and feel like my trauma has made me a different species to everybody else.
You are certainly in the right place to connect with people who understand. We are a friendly, supportive bunch! Welcome!

I'm new here, but I'm going to give this a try. I don't quite have the feeling alone amongst people part, but I identify with feeling like people don't know how to respond appropriately.

I feel the same way you do. I manage myself really well at work. I'm confident in what I'm doing, take on extra projects, I'm even possibly about to get a promotion. But as soon as I get hope everything changes. I just melt into the couch and it feels impossible to do the smallest things. Then I feel guilty for not doing laundry or cooking a full meal and it just makes things even worse. I've only shared my diagnoses with 3 people: my husband who also has PTSD, my best friend who also has PTSD, and my mother. My mother's reaction made me not want to share my diagnosis with anyone else.

Back