• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Should i address this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Snowflakes! That has all the information we need. We talked about it so at his appointment on Monday he's gonna ask doc.

Have any of you guys went through the VA to get your dog? Just wondering how long the process is.

As for his family. Yes. I avoid them quite a bit. Luckily they're scattered across the US. I've never met such self centered people. If I did? I didn't associate with them.

J and I have made our own little family. That's all we need. Sister and doggy are leaving tomorrow. I hope J doesn't get sad.

yes -- it is a game changer. I feel so bad I didn't bring that up to you earlier!

The VA is having some growing pains with their service dogs programs. You don't actually get a dog thru them -- they refer you to a local organization that trains them. They did have a study going on between emotional support dogs and service ones but it's closed, and another one they were running for training combat vet dogs just got closed down and no one is sure why.

Usually they refer you to to an organization that trains service dogs, sometimes there is a charge, sometimes not. Sadly there can be a long (like year or two) waiting list and if you go to a for profit organization it can be big money $14000 to $35000 (yes ...3 zeros.)

so that's the bad news. Here's the good! I didn't go thru the VA -- mind came about totally ass backwards. I found a dog, then found out I needed a service dog, then found a a private trainer. All in all it cost about $3000 over about two years -- BUT I had him with me the almost the entire time. I didn't have to wait till he was grown to start bonding. It's a little more complicated and it forced me to interact with humans more than I liked, but it was good for me to get out and about. And I had a trainer who specialized in PTSD dogs - I just couldn't get into her program because it was full so she took me as a private client. If you decide to train on your own I would HIGHLY suggest you work with a trainer of PTSD dogs. The dog is easy to train --- the handler not so much!:)

@Ragdoll Circus has a ton of good info on them too -- we had a great exchange of ideas on the Service Dog for PTSD thread. I also did a break down of how my guy came to be. If you can't find it I'll cut and paste

Now go get that boy a dog!!!!!

Tell him I'm happy to answer questions if you want to start a chat for him (since I'm guessing he's not gonna log on here!)

Not to bad, under the circumstances. My kids and I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather and worked on some needed repairs outside today... it felt really good. Mr. Man invited me to a dinner date tonight while the kids all hang out, so I'm going to enjoy myself tonight even if it kills me, lol!

I'm hoping you are in a good place this fine weekend! I'm feeling pretty motivated to fixing up all of the chaos my life seems to be full of this year. I'm going to be putting out fires for the rest of the year... maybe even a bit into the new year. But I'm trying hard to change bad patterns.

'Tis the season, I suppose. In thinking the dog thing is a great idea. All my animals bring me so much joy... even when they act more like damnimals, lol. They can be work, but in a good way. The S/O finds a lot of peace by having them around too. We never tried to get an actual service animal, but they calm him none the less.

I'm glad you two survived the visit. Family, even good family, can be soooooo stressful. You should be proud of handling everything with such decorum. You're definitely good people!

Decorum. That's funny because if it wasn't for all of you I would have blew my top!

We've been talking about a dog now. He says the VA said there's a 2 year waiting list. I thought his appointment was this Monday but it's not till the 11th. So we won't get any information till then.

We can't wait 2 years. So we're talking about getting a puppy and working with a trainer. However, money is the problem. I know it will be expensive but how do you put a price on J's happiness? You can't. We'll figure it out.

Good luck getting the house in order. I've got to do the same! Change is hard but good.

Not sure where you live but here in the Midwest the weather has been great! For December. It's just nice to see the sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back