• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Social Media Boundaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyBlue

Policy Enforcement
99% sure I’m addicted to having the constant influx of information because I keep clicking. I can tell myself to back off for just 15 small minutes and yet there I am on Facebook seeking out the drama. Maybe replying, maybe not, but it’s.so.exhausting. And I can’t seem to stop.

I need help establishing solid boundaries around the internet. I do a lot of outdoor activities but the second I’m in the house I’m on my phone checking everything out.

I’m finding it impossible to shut my brain off. My anxiety is through the absolute roof. I’m hoping doing some of the intense exercises recommended in the other thread will keep me too tired to even bother with my phone.

Omfg I need help.

That's the piece I'd start...

Dislinking social media and anxiety.

What is your other cope for anxiety?
And before that : What all facets you need to cope with, currently covered by social media activities?

That's the piece I'd start...

Dislinking social media and anxiety.

What is your other cope for anxiety?
And before that : What all facets you need to cope with, currently covered by social media activities?

Right now I cope through art, photography, yoga, and hiking, (swimming too if pools ever open up). I’m not sure why my anxiety is so so high and feels so linked to social media. My guess is the stress cup coupled with the uncertainty and fear going on in the world and the seeming inability to just escape it all for a little bit. But even when I’m “away” my mind is still right there mulling everything over and just creating even more stress. I don’t know how to turn it off.

When I'm really not doing well, the range of things I do shrinks down to very few options. When I find myself compulsively checking different social media sites I know I need to up my self care, make a point of doing some things which fill the tank so to speak and take a break from social media. A day or a week. Something like that.

Social media feels a double edged sword to me. I am REALLY careful about my feed. I still see things I don’t benefit from - which is also ok ish. It’s my connection to outside a lot.

Often it’s just ‘mental stimulation’. Audio books work for me so long as I am in touch with people too.

I have used media way less during this quarantine. So I have been thinking about why - So I suggest to you to also think what sends you to SM , what in your feeds isn’t useful and what makes you over check?

Eg- I am here a lot when really symptomatic- I have been easier so not here rechecking - last few days I’m Back - it’s telling Me something about my state of mind.

99% sure I’m addicted to having the constant influx of information because I keep clicking. I can tell myself to back off for just 15 small minutes and yet there I am on Facebook seeking out the drama. Maybe replying, maybe not, but it’s.so.exhausting. And I can’t seem to stop.

About a week ago, I got to this place. It was making me NUTS. So I deactivated my account. That was really hard, but I just did it. I just recently reactivated it and it's better now. I think when you do that, you realize just how tied you are to that feed. I had to force myself to do other stuff and after a while, I didn't miss it nearly as much.

Right now I cope through art, photography, yoga, and hiking, (swimming too if pools ever open up). I’m not sure why my anxiety is so so high and feels so linked to social media. My guess is the stress cup coupled with the uncertainty and fear going on in the world and the seeming inability to just escape it all for a little bit. But even when I’m “away” my mind is still right there mulling everything over and just creating even more stress. I don’t know how to turn it off.

I hung around and participated this website's George Floyd link too long.....and it irritated me.....because we are on a PTSD forum, where all people have been hurt in one way or another, and where some didn't really see a problem with violence as the solution.. I've had lots of abuse in my life, and violence.....no matter which way it came at me....didn't solve a thing. Just have a hard time imagining folks who visits this website and contributes here about trauma can be aligned with violence (which is dysfunctional) in any way......if it causes the social reform they desire.....that is my issue for today. I think this will be one of those things to let go of......cause it's not mine to own.

I think if I were not cooped up from the pandemic, I wouldn't have gone back so many times......time to redirect to something more positive which I can impact.

There is so much to contend with right now. The pandemic, the news and everything happening, and then our own traumas. That is A LOT of negative difficult things.
During this lockdown I've increased more negative behaviours and reduced the positive ones. I think it is acknowledging that and finding a path back to more positive things?

Maybe remember or find something else to do that bring/brought you joy before and it might just take your mind off it for a little while?
And then It might start to change the habit?

I've had similar discussions with myself over the past few years. Spoke with others about it too. Not sure if this helps or not.

It may be a form of hypervigiliance, or at least it is for me. I've always been hypervigilant and was that way before social media entered my life. Social media puts it on steroids. For a hypervigilant person, social media provides and endless stream of what looks like information (but often isn't). So if much of our lives is spent manning the watchtower, so to speak, social media makes what seems like a good place to see where the barbarians are. Seems.

Does that help?

I’ve been back and fore on twitter, I clicked on a mental health tweet, and now it’s gone chaotic, I’ve tried helping lots, but some are turning on each other, so I deactivated earlier, I’m on Instagram with just a few friends, I deactivated my Facebook as that’s gone negative too, I keep an eye on my sons, my family, and lot of friends, I’ve kept messenger, I’m on a running group on what’s app, Problem I’m finding Some just want you to fix them, I understand this, nature helps me more than anything, it’s difficult to stay off twitter as there are good people on there, but if it affects me I’m useless to anyone, and one thing never argue with anyone on social media, you do not know who you are arguing with??
I need help establishing solid boundaries around the internet. I do a lot of outdoor activities but the second I’m in the house I’m on my phone checking everything out.

I’m finding it impossible to shut my brain off. My anxiety is through the absolute roof. I’m hoping doing some of the intense exercises recommended in the other thread will keep me too tired to even bother with my phone.

Omfg I need help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back