• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

DID Super helpful DID apps!

Sideways

Hey folks - just thought I’d share this, because it been a bit of a breakthrough for me.

I’ve been using an app called Joplin to give my different parts their own journals. Joplin lets you create as many journals (‘Notebooks’) as you want, and you can bookmark parts of each journal. This has reallocated helped me get my communication back on track, because I can flip easily from one notebook to the next, and take ideas that one part has created and reflect on them in another part’s own space.

The next level for me is Antar - it’s not new, but I’ve only just stumbled across this one. It lets you create a conversation on a particular topic, and create as many different participants to the conversation as you like. The conversation appears on screen like a string of texts between multiple different people, identified by name and colour.

We’ve started using Antar to have groups convos about different topics, and they’re jotted down so I can scroll back and look at what each part contributed to the discussion.

Ridiculously helpful!!

Neither app was actually created for DID (or folks with parts). There are tonnes of journalling apps available, which probably do the same things. But I’ve found both of these particularly easy to use, and aligned with how my part’s communicate. Both are free:)

One I have heard about but have never used is called SimplyPlural, and it functions similarly to how you describe Antar, by creating private local text/conversation threads and journals. You can also use it in a web browser, if you don't have a phone or don't enjoy apps, or want something on your desktop. This is the type of features it offers (I made an account just to see what it was like inside):

1682720770038.png

1682721211732.png

Presumably this is all an attempt to organize and understand your internal structural dissociation. I don't find apps like this helpful, personally, because I don't have enough internal awareness (and I have only DDNOS, not DID) to be able to track things in a coherent manner like that. I simply is as I is, from one moment to the next. Not so "simply" plural, heh.

But I have heard a lot of great things about this app and it is specifically designed for individuals with DID. I hope it was OK to mention this one, I took the thread title to be kind of a, "share your apps" vibe. Apologies if that was not the intention. Either way I am very pleased you have found these apps helpful! Having that must certainly be a powerful tool of internal organization.

Last edited:
@Weemie @Sideways can I ask how using these apps is going for you both now a few months down the line? If you're still using them... I'm considering starting one... I'm a bit worried about security... it's the one thing stopping me writing in a pen to paper journal but also on maybe more random apps online ?

I’m still using both Joplin and Antar, and they’re extremely helpful to me. They’re super easy to use, and help me communicate with my parts really effectively.

I’m not too worried about security. There’s very little actual data in there about me that has much value. If someone manages to get into my phone, the content in those apps is not going to be the thing that brings me undone!

@Weemie @Sideways can I ask how using these apps is going for you both now a few months down the line? If you're still using them... I'm considering starting one... I'm a bit worried about security... it's the one thing stopping me writing in a pen to paper journal but also on maybe more random apps online ?

I've never found a benefit out of using them! It's actually come to my attention that I might be misdiagnosed with DDNOS, so that might be the reason why. I've always found my 'switches' or parts far too numerous and random to keep track of, and I never know when it's really happened unless it's blatant.

If you're worried about security though these apps all probably share similar privacy concerns: they most likely indicate somewhere in their TOS that they won't share your data, but you really can't trust that because corporations and businesses are known to be shady and also, third parties might have access to that data that don't share the same privacy oversight guidelines.

For me that wouldn't stop me using the app because I don't really care who knows, but it's stopped me from using apps to detail my trauma for example - I'd be afraid they would notify law enforcement because I am paranoid (even though I technically haven't committed a crime).

Using a site like this comes with less (I trust Anthony's integrity more than something like the CEO of ChatGPT) but not no risk (anything you put online comes with the inherent risk of someone with nefarious intentions finding it).

Thanks @Weemie and @Sideways ... that's helpful...

Yes somehow I feel more trusting of this site than others, and perhaps that's because the people responsible make themselves known and are more present...

@Weemie interesting about thinking you may be misdiagnosed with DDNOS ... that's also my diagnosis and I've struggled with it too... been wondering recently if I should go back for a re assessment for diagnosis ... I think it's a tricky diagnosis to get your head around anyway as it's generally seen as a pre diagnosis to DID... the one waiting in the wings ... I don't think I've found a good explanation of it to date... yet I can't deny / dismiss the fact i meet lots of the criteria

Back