• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Thoughts on Med-Alert Bracelets with PTSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a good idea Piglet if your taking medication, especially if your taking several medications. The difference off outcome when an ambulance paramedic knows your taking a specific drug, compare to not knowing, could be fatal. Once thing could not mix well with another, or be known to cause occassional reactions with "x" anti-depressant that you happen to be on, and suddenly from just being unconcious to now dead is a reality.

I have looked at them myself and wondered the same thing, which is what determined the above reasoning. If your not taking any drugs, then I would say IT IS NOT needed, but if you are taking medications regularly, then I would say IT IS a good idea for your own safety.

anthony said:
. The difference off outcome when an ambulance paramedic knows your taking a specific drug, compare to not knowing, could be fatal. Once thing could not mix well with another, or be known to cause occassional reactions with "x" anti-depressant that you happen to be on, and suddenly from just being unconcious to now dead is a reality.

OMG! I never ever thought of that!
I'm might mention this to the psychiatrist next appointment.
(way to add fuel to the fire Anthony, ...
...in my ever burning paranioa of things that could go wrong,
Just kidding, but it is a realistic possibility when you explain it like that)

So anyone know if people wear them as anklets?
Or would paramedics fail to check there?

YoungAndAngry said:
So anyone know if people wear them as anklets?
Or would paramedics fail to check there?

Good question... and wouldn't have a clue.

Sorry YA to add something new... :thumbs-up

I chatted with my doctor about this a long time ago, and basically as he said to me in simple terms, "its like someone being allergic to penacilian." A simple everyday drug, and some people just have a reaction to it, even though 99.99% of the world are fine with it. Things happen, and honestly, its not something I would stress about, but if you do, then get a braclet and take another load of your mind.

nah... I'm not gonna stress about it,
maybe if I go on a long road trip on my own or something...
but for around here, I'm usually not alone :)

Med Braclet

Hey Guys My Gp Filled Out The Form With All Meds Ptsd & The Rest Before I Had Even Thought About It, It Cost Me About $26 Bucks. In A Funny Way I Thought It Was Good, Being Nobody Could See What Was Wrong With Me. Wearing The Braclet Gave Me Some Form Of, There Must Be Some Thing Wrong With This Bloke. Not Sure How To Put It Words (little Bit Like If You Had A Broken Limb In Plaster People Could See Whats Wrong) It Sort Of Gave Me That Feeling Like I Didnt Have To Explain Myself As To Why I Am Not Working At The Moment, And Why You Will Never See Me In The Social Pages Of The News Paper.

Thats pretty interesting Nugget. Kinda like a big self-esteem kick with the bracelet... interesting, and thanks for shareing that. I think that could be of value to everyone with self-esteem issues and how PTSD is interpreted within society.

Not Sure How To Put It Words (little Bit Like If You Had A Broken Limb In Plaster People Could See Whats Wrong) It Sort Of Gave Me That Feeling Like I Didnt Have To Explain Myself As To Why I Am Not Working At The Moment

An excellent point. I have been bouncing the idea around for a while. I think it migth work as you say, but on the other hand, I'm not sure what I would do if someone asked me why I was wearing a bracelet!

k, just wanted to update on the question I asked about getting a medic-alert anklet.

Well... they don't offer anklets.
If someone really wanted to they could check into the possibility of getting a custom made one from a jeweller... but that would be crazy expensive!
Other than that... Medic Alert offers several styles of necklaces and bracelets
:)

From little dainty ones, to larger chained guys bracelets
just some info

I think someone like http://www.americanmedical-id.com/home/ could probably adapt it for you actually if you wanted. I think they most likely don't normally offer it, as people aren't generally looking at your ankles. So if you wanted one on your ankle, I would also suggest possibly the necklace from something like the above site also. You can make your own...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back