• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Using tools to cope with symptoms vs suppressing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasel

Sponsor
Hi, sometimes when I use tools to deal with symptoms I get other symptoms pop up. And it leaves me wondering if I just suprresed stuff.

You know when you first begun to be aware of something you can't really explain it clearly - I just wondered of anyone could help me puck apart this idea.

Do you think sometimes using tools just helps you suppress stuff?

Is that necessarily bad?

Thanks

sometimes when I use tools to deal with symptoms I get other symptoms pop up. And it leaves me wondering if I just suprresed stuff.
Im thinking about this really hard but nothing comes up.. I do have an idea, but I’m still juggling in my mind. I was thinking about something like, adjusting one location and at the same time building up pressure elsewhere. Please throw this idea away if it doesn’t make any sense.
From own experience, when I let myself tolerate certain emotions (I know you are talking about symptoms) On an embodied Level it has a different quality than if I do it cognitively. You probably mean something else right @Teasel ?

My brain is jellypudding today.. 🥲

Just thinking that a tool that addresses a feeling that I perceive on a certain are Body area is the opposite to suppression because trauma disconnects the mind and body, so bringing them together cannot be about Supression. When we were not allowed to feel, or we simply couldn’t because it was about daily survival we can Do now through physicality?! Not sure...

Sorry I think I go offtopic here too.. I have that tendency today😊

Hi, sometimes when I use tools to deal with symptoms I get other symptoms pop up. And it leaves me wondering if I just suprresed stuff.

You know when you first begun to be aware of something you can't really explain it clearly - I just wondered of anyone could help me puck apart this idea.

Is that necessarily bad?

Thanks
Within myself, I find everything is connected together like dominoes...try to deal with one and others fall down with it.

I think anything positive that helps is good if it leads to progress.

Hi, sometimes when I use tools to deal with symptoms I get other symptoms pop up. And

HI there! For me, symptoms are like children sometimes, all vying for attention.😜 Have you ever gone to the dentist and the area that hurt was because of another tooth? Perhaps your neck ached but it was related to a pulled back muscle? Well for me...my symptoms are like that at times (with the use of my tools).

I run those moments of confusion by my Therapist at times inorder to make sure I am not skirting an issue or in denial. Sometimes I am at a cross road but mostly when multiple symptoms emerge...I am having a special PTSD episode moment. 💪🏼 It’s all good. I am more than PTSD but it does keep me busy.

Is that necessarily bad?

Thanks
I just recently found out that burying stuff is considered bad. My T asked me something, I forget what, and I just blurted out that I had buried all that. As I said this, I must have observed something in his facial expression or body language, so I said, "that's bad isn't it?" He said yes. So I had to sort of rearrange my brain. Still working on that....

My last T, one of the things she regularly did, which I came to appreciate, was that she told me I did what I had to to survive.

So that instead of seeing those decisions as bad i could be grateful for them cause they kept me alive. X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back