What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

Tiger’s Quiche … is my base recipe.

If I’m using deep dish pie crust, or BIG cupcake tins for individual quiches (when I had 5 kids in the house, we never did big quiche, but each kid put whatever they wanted in their own cups), I drop the temp down to 225F/105C. Thin tart crusts the high temp is perfect, but burns the tops of deep dish.

Today it’s a ham & broccoli & chèvre

Perfect fall day for ham and bean soup.

1 cup Diced ham
1 small onion chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 celery stalk chopped
2 cans white beans, drained
2 cans chicken broth
S&P
Parsley flakes

In a large pot sauté veg in butter for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes.

Having it with crusty bread and butter.

I made a valiant effort to make beef liver. First, I bought calf instead of adult beef, hoping it would be milder. I soaked it in milk for 24 hours, changing the milk once. I seasoned it. I cooked it in oil on high heat so that it seared the outside but didn’t overcook the inside. I ate it as a taco with fresh corn tortillas, cooked onions, and fresh spicy salsa.

But it was still liver. And it still had that taste. Because that’s what it is.

I believe that some day I will eat beef liver or chicken livers that make me say WOW!. I did find a good recipe for chicken gizzards and hearts. Those aren’t as strong of flavor though. I really want to say that I had good liver some day (other than foie gras). I’m out of potential beef liver recipes but I do have a recipe for chicken liver pâté to try.

but I do have a recipe for chicken liver pâté to try.
Good grain fed duck/goose liver? Tastes NOTHING like “liver”.

I felt bad for the birds, until I learned -like horses- they have no gag-reflex and are essentially the happiest of ANY animal bred for food. Bodies flooded with endorphins every feeding (which has been tested both with blood & FMRIs)… they pretty much taste like happiness… because they spend their lives blissed out. The only time they fight? Is to get fed first.

As a gag-reflexes mammal the tube looks horrifying, but? I’m not a bird. Apparently (according to all the scientific testing) it’s all the joy of being fed by a loving parent, that most birds lose as they are weaned, plus all the happy of rich-rich-comfort food.

Calypso pork ^^^

That I used the leftovers -that I’d frozen awhile back- in fried rice. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Because I was feeding a crowd I added a bellyfull of veggies (frozen peas/carrots, fresh pea pods, fresh broccoli, pineapple chunks, stoplight peppers, to really streeeeeeeetch the dish; as well as some chopped chicken thighs & prawns (when you’re feeding a hockey team / footballers / my mother? Add. More. Meat. But when it’s just me? Frozen peas/carrots, or pineapple, or both,,, is more than enough.)

The rice? Is super simple. Ginger/Garlic paste & soy sauce & a tiny splash Shaosing / Xiaoxing/dry sherry to precooked rice. Lemongrass paste is also lovely, but you cannot taste it. It just oomphs up the ginger flavor.

Last edited:
being fed by a loving parent,
I like your theory but geese (along with other waterfowl and poultry) are precocial when they hatch and are never fed by their parents, only shown what’s good to eat.

Regardless, I believe you that if the critter is well fed the liver could have a sumptuous flavor. Which makes me want to seek out high quality craft farm chicken livers.

I’ve heard about small-farm pigs finished on apples and hazelnuts or butternut squash and mushrooms. As well as special “sea sheep” of Normandy and Ireland that eat kelp. Both animals taking on the flavors of their food.

Now I’m curious to raise mealworms or crickets and experiment with feeding them apples and carrots and chiles etc.

Back