• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What do you do when being social is too difficult or a trigger?

I am trying to remember things I liked to do before fawning became my life. And going out is not an option right now. Too many people....lol (I live in Florida - snowbirds all the time now) I just remembered I used to sew. On a real sewing machine. And made clothing. How did I forget that? And I was pretty good. Not sure if I was forced to sew or not but there it is. I have forgotten all of the things I liked. What do you like to do?

Also, how do ease back in to social stuff? I am not one that eases into anything. Bull - china shop, yeah that is me. I am game for any and all responses. Thank you and please remember to take care of yourself.

Hi! I spent a long time confined at home due to social anxiety and body dysmorphia, which left me with no friends. It was pretty sad. So, I started looking for groups on social media in my city, and now I don't have close friends, but I have social contacts. If I want to do something, I know I can call someone, unlike before.

I'm from Spain, but I'm sure there are similar groups in the USA.

I enjoy archery, kickboxing, yoga, art.... I discovered these interests over time; you just need to experience new things!!
Good luck! <3

I am not one that eases into anything. Bull - china shop, yeah that is me.
ditto here. all or nothing for me. don't mess with mister in between. perfectionist maximus. . . alas, that particular perfectionism paralyzed far more often than it made me a superstar in whatever opportunity presented in my life. learning how to take small, uncertain steps might have been the most important study in my own recovery. i doesn't have to be a master and/or superstar. just showing up is often enough.

I decided not to be social anymore—5 years and counting. From being a total extrovert who enjoyed being with people to living in a hole where only 4 more people can enter. I can't stand it anymore. A bereaved parent here. I dislike small talk, so there is nothing to say to anyone. If asked, "How are you doing?" people want to hear that I am fine because my sadness and depression from my tragedy and trauma make them uncomfortable. So, asocial for life. That's all I have been doing for five years, and I can't see it will ever change. All my friends were very supportive, but I lost them because most of them believe that I should have turned the grief switch off a long time ago.

I decided not to be social anymore—5 years and counting. From being a total extrovert who enjoyed being with people to living in a hole where only 4 more people can enter. I can't stand it anymore. A bereaved parent here. I dislike small talk, so there is nothing to say to anyone. If asked, "How are you doing?" people want to hear that I am fine because my sadness and depression from my tragedy and trauma make them uncomfortable. So, asocial for life. That's all I have been doing for five years, and I can't see it will ever change. All my friends were very supportive, but I lost them because most of them believe that I should have turned the grief switch off a long time ago.
I am so sorry for your loss. I am not a fan of small talk either. It is so difficult for me to communicate anyway. I talk too much and say all the wrong things. I hope you are able to find peace. Please take care of yourself. And thank you for sharing.

I can handle talking with one person but I have to feel like I can flee anytime I want so that’s awkward. I guess I’m a selectively social introvert. All my “friends” are online, now. I tried to make an IRL friend but no luck, yet. I think next year I’m going to take up quilting and maybe make a friend or even a really good acquaintance that way.

Since you have sewed in the past I think it will all come back to you; maybe try quilting or sewing a bag. Also, hand embroidery is something I do. I find it a great coping mechanism; distracts me from my daily hell.

I can handle talking with one person but I have to feel like I can flee anytime I want so that’s awkward. I guess I’m a selectively social introvert. All my “friends” are online, now. I tried to make an IRL friend but no luck, yet. I think next year I’m going to take up quilting and maybe make a friend or even a really good acquaintance that way.

Since you have sewed in the past I think it will all come back to you; maybe try quilting or sewing a bag. Also, hand embroidery is something I do. I find it a great coping mechanism; distracts me from my daily hell.
Thank you. I love your idea of quilting. I have tossed it around...but embroidery, I forgot all about that. I did that with my granny. Good luck with your goals.

Thank you. I love your idea of quilting. I have tossed it around...but embroidery, I forgot all about that. I did that with my granny. Good luck with your goals.
PM me if you want to try cross stitching; I know tons of sites with legal freebies. Also, online shops . Check to see if you have an LNS. You can use your sewing skills to make project bags for yourself. Nicer than ziplocks lol.

Hi! I spent a long time confined at home due to social anxiety and body dysmorphia, which left me with no friends. It was pretty sad. So, I started looking for groups on social media in my city, and now I don't have close friends, but I have social contacts. If I want to do something, I know I can call someone, unlike before.

I'm from Spain, but I'm sure there are similar groups in the USA.

I enjoy archery, kickboxing, yoga, art.... I discovered these interests over time; you just need to experience new things!!
Good luck! <3
My approach is similar, but I focus on book clubs. It's one of the few social activities that encourages bringing notes about what you want to say.

Back