• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll What Is The Cause Of Your PTSD?

What is the cause of your PTSD?

• Childhood abuse of all types, rape or assault.

Votes: 250 61.7%
  • Abduction

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Adult rape/ sexual assault/ sexual abuse.

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Assault.

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • Natural disaster.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emergency services such as fire or paramedics.

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Army or war.

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • Death or suicide.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Medical condition.

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Accident.

Votes: 17 4.2%

• Total voters
My PTSD originally stems from severe medical trauma..and then compounded by childhood physical/emotional abuse, as well as multiple sexual assaults. My PTSD symptoms began around the age of 3 (although I showed severe trauma responses in infancy as well) and became progressively worse the more I was traumatized. Nightmares, flashbacks, dissociation, and anxiety defined most of my childhood and have followed me ever since. I would have a flashback in the hospital and the doctors just thought I was being unruly, completely dismissing my mothers concerns of possible psychological damage as 'personality traits.' By 22, I was a complete train wreck. It took me years to understand what was wrong with me, and it has been difficult to accept. But validating at the same time..I'm not just 'crazy' anymore..

A life of headmess & loss & trying to be as free as possible. Let's leave it at that.

Childhood trauma went first. I'd tick abduction / army / death and suicide, since they're what makes processing everything so entangled. With a one option only, death it is.

i think i have had ptsd since i was at least in 3rd grade. i remember obsessively studying martial arts and getting into fights at school trying to act tough. when i was in sixth grade my startle response became so exaggerated that it was the source of amusement to nearly everyone who knew me, including me sometimes. then at 15 i had dropped out, got assaulted & spiralled out into psychotic features. got that under control at about 19 and spent oh, 3 years as a hermit. went outside once a month, on welfare day! :rolleyes: finally got so suicidal i was like f*ck this and got a job, now i'm building my skillset and futures.

I checked the first one because all of my trauma happened in my early childhood through late teens. I have a history of CSA, SA, and a major car crash. All are contributing factors.

Mostly from a period of horrific psychosis I experienced during high school. Though it also comes from sources like going my entire life with mental illness with no support whatsoever, and living in a house with an explosive and control-freak dad. Though I feel it's mostly from that time period in high school where I was experiencing really terrifying delusions and violent hallucinations on a regular basis however.

How did I make it through school? Like cheese through a grater, ohohoho

I was physically assaulted, psychologically and emotionally abused, witnessed the beating and rape of my mother, I am a survivor of long term sexual child abuse, I was brutally molested by 5 men when I was 13 and I witnessed the super cell tornadoes of 1974. one or all of these started the PTSD cycle.

I would have put down occupation right after childhood abuse as I used to work on the kill floor of an abatoir with inadequate training, but the option wasn't there other than first response and military. So that made for lots of mishaps. There were a couple times I was trampled by animals, one time almost getting electrocuted as the stunner in my hands got pushed within inches of my face.

I am not sure what cause my ptsd according to your list there are 5 or 6 that I would have to check. It all started with early childhood dog attack,then early childhood sexual abuse, then as I started to act out, physical, emotional abuse and abandonment, Then confinement and violent sexual assault, gang rape, close friends and family suicides and sudden deaths, industrial accident and motor vehicle accidents, a couple of hurricanes and a fire at sea. This list is from a summary that my T did for me. T figures I have been effected from Ptsd since I was young but no telling how young it started as of yet. So I was not sure which one to check.

Back