• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Who Diagnosed You?

Who Diagnosed you?

• A therapist or social worker?

Votes: 113 42.3%
  • Psychiatrist

Votes: 149 55.8%
  • Physician

Votes: 27 10.1%
  • Other (self, family etc...)

Votes: 49 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been diagnosed by a couple of psych's over the years and every therapist and counselor that I've ever been counseled by. I've been told that I will always needs to see a therapist for talk. It runs in cycles, though. Sometimes I go for a few months and really feel fine and then I get so low, I know when it's time to get some help. I try not to beat myself up mentally. When I actually make the call for the appointment I get relief because I have made a positive step toward helping myself. It always works.

Chissi

Hi everyone. Iwas initially diagnosed by a counsellor who then referred me to a congnitive behavioural psychotherapist who I have been seeing for 18 months. I have never seen a psychiatrist and my medication is monitored by my G.P. I also live in the u.k

I found out when I was 16. My therapist gave me an article about EMDR and started referring to things that happened to me as "traumatic". I felt so relieved. I also felt extremely validated.

Can't believe I never answered this question.

I was diagnosed while in hospital. I had 3 counselors, a therapist, a psychiatrist, a psychologist and a physician. Oh Yea and a mental health nurse.

Guess that qualifies me

I was diagnosed by a Psychiatrict Nurse in Emergency and then by a counsellor and then officially by a Psychiatrist who then prescribed meds. I too thought only Vietnam Vets could be diagnosed with PTSD. I was shocked, but relieved to finally put a name to my illness!

Myself, my boyfriend and all the quizes that say my ptsd symptoms are off the scale. I am trying to get an official diagnosis now to help with healing.

I was diagnosed a few months ago by a psychologist. I revealed some things to him that I had kept secret from everyone else in my life because I thought I was "crazy". He asked me a lot of questions and explained to me that my "crazy episodes" were flashbacks and that I have PTSD. It was actually a relief to hear the diagnosis.

Diagnosis

I was diagnosed by Susan van Scoyoc. (Ten, Harley st.)That's good enough for me. Glad to have a name for my condition, and gain a more accurate frame of reference for my frightening behavior. I could potentially have been diagnosed as far back as the eighties. I began a legal action several years ago and that's how I came to be seen by such an auspicious shrink!

They could have removed me instead, but they didn't.
So they may not have caused the injury, but they allowed it to get far worse by their lack of action.

Jack I had the same thing. The social workers knew what we were going through they saw us on a regular basis. Even after my middle sister going into voluntary foster care, as soon as she turned 16, they left me there. I have recently requested to see my records from that period.

I was diagnosed by my pshyciatrist, initially after one session then we met to confirm it over a couple more sessions. This was after waiting years and after having psycotherapy (which did NOTHING for me). I moved house, changed Dr and suddenly I got so many more answers to my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back