• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

A State Called Is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it trauma if a layperson watches a person die but not if it’s someone in healthcare or palliative care especially?

Dr. Phil really pissed me off yesterday. I used to watch him and practically worship him. Then I got into therapy myself and figured out that ya sometimes he’s spot on and sometimes it’s too much sensationalizing and it’s more harm then good in the long run. He just came out with a new show, House Calls. And being curious I watched the first episode.

The synopsis is basically that a teen girl has spent 5 years refusing to speak to or acknowledge her father starting from the age of 14. The way it’s portrayed for the reasoning was he disciplined her by taking her phone when she was out caught drinking (at 14 mind you). And that set it all off and Dr Phil pretty much portrays her as a spoiled brat throwing the ultimate fit. I call bullshit.

No one is going to go on a 5 year silence against a person unless they have a damn good reason. No 14 year old is going to go out drinking just because. I don’t know, maybe they do but the point is this was completely brushed under the rug and the focus was her response to his discipline. I feel like a 14 year old drinking is doing it for a reason and that should be investigated. I feel like a 14 year old cutting herself off from her father for so long is for an actual reason and not just a simple rebellion.

I’d understand not going into deeper reasons on National television, but to portray her as some spoiled tantrum thrower when I’m sorry, those are big signs something really bad happened just pissed me right the f*ck off.

He’s a psychologist, he should know this. He should also know he’s just giving confirmation bias to people at home who want to live in their bubbles and act like kids acting out is solely the kids fault and has nothing to do with any trauma potentially triggering it. I mean god forbid we look at a teen who is “out of control” and think maybe hmm there’s something going on at home or in the background that needs help and maybe this is the kids only way of bringing attention to it.

What is this obsession with Shepherd Pratt? There’s a million different mental health specific hospitals and treatment centers across the country. They’re just fancier and more expensive so what’s the big deal?

What is this obsession with Shepherd Pratt? There’s a million different mental health specific hospitals and treatment centers across the country. They’re just fancier and more expensive so what’s the big deal?
yeah I’m finding it odd as well. Like the place is recommended jointly with the forum? i really don’t know. But I find it funny.

Why is it trauma if a layperson watches a person die but not if it’s someone in healthcare or palliative care especially?
It can be trauma for either a layperson or a professional. It can also NOT be trauma, for either group.

If your job carries with it an expectation that death may occur - such is the case with many areas of healthcare - then there is a very good chance that the healthcare professional will either have some slight advance warning of the death, or even (as with palliative care) a longer time frame in which to know that death is coming.

It's that awareness of impending death that (in theory) allows the healthcare individual to (generally) avoid the shock of completely unexpected death.

And then, there's also a good chance that the healthcare worker has already been exposed to death - and this prior encounter serves to create a psychological context for the event, which also dulls it's impact. BUT, because of the frequency of exposure to death (or extreme violence) that some individuals must live with, there is the portion of the criteria that allows for multiple and repeated exposure to death, serious injury, etc. to also cause PTSD.

For a person who isn't in a field that exposes them to death - they would still need to be confronting a sudden and unexpected death, in order for it to (again, theoretically) develop into PTSD. They will certainly experience a profound impact - but it takes some time to know whether that impact has become the sort of 'trapped' fear experience that is the (likely, maybe?) cause of PTSD.
He’s a psychologist
Not anymore, he's not. He hasn't been licensed to practice for well over a decade. So yes, holds a doctorate; no, isn't a psychologist. Former psychologist, if one is feeling generous.
He should also know he’s just giving confirmation bias to people at home who want to live in their bubbles and act like kids acting out is solely the kids fault and has nothing to do with any trauma potentially triggering it.
My guess is, he does know. It's that audience of bubble-people who make up his fan base. It really is upsetting, I agree.

in both cases this can be trauma.

He’s a psychologist, he should know this.
"psychologist" is a strong word. he hasn't held a license to practice since 2006 and he's mired in tons of lawsuits. a lot of real mental health advocates have stated his methods are inapproreate and unethical at best (remember the serial killer in the making bullshit?) and harmful at worst.

his job isn't psychology, his job is to be on television. these people will do any thing for ratings.

If your job carries with it an expectation that death may occur - such is the case with many areas of healthcare - then there is a very good chance that the healthcare professional will either have some slight advance warning of the death, or even (as with palliative care) a longer time frame in which to know that death is coming.
To add to this, healthcare pros have a set of things to do when an unexpected death happens, and have the supplies to do it (In the UK anyway), I'm a nurse and don't tend to feel traumatised by hospital stuff because I know what to do, even if it doesn't work, I know I did what I could, for a layperson (or healthcare pro) in the community there's a lot more "what ifs" involved, so it has a bigger impact.

He hasn't been licensed to practice for well over a decade
This is good to know. It really sucks because it could be such an awesome platform to actually teach but it’s chosen to be shitty Jerry Springer with a degree.

because I know what to do
I think this is the part I really need to remember when thinking about it. Knowledge reduces panic majority of the time, not always obviously but it gives some resilience. I need to remember that the situations I’ve been in I didn’t have knowledge or planning or support before/during/after. Ugh I don’t know, I’m not ready to talk about this here yet though.

I think I may have just hit a raccoon 😬 ironic part is I was actually paying attention to where I was going but he blended into the road. Poor guy is sitting there munching on breakfast and here comes my ass barreling down the damn road. I swerved last second and didn’t have a thump so I’m hoping that means I didn’t actually get him but shit that was close and I feel freaking horrible!

Afghanistan. Sigh. I never liked what was going to end up happening this administration, not saying I was a huge fan of the last but this one felt like a disaster waiting to happen from the moment it began. And here we go.

I’m not ready for this. I’m not military, I wouldn’t be able to handle it. So at least I can sit back and watch and act like a selfish little Karen while everyone else does the work. I’m not ready for the babies in my family (because damnit they are still babies) going over to fight. I realize I have no control over that and it’s not like they’ve been drafted- they chose. But f*ck, they haven’t had a chance to live their lives yet and as soon as they’re finishing up training (super proud of course about to finish something explosives I can’t remember the specific name). Then there’s the 3. There’s 3 best friends who are just now joining up simultaneously and it feels like a heartbreaking movie (they grew up together from kindergarten) where only 1 is going to make it back and he will be so ridden with survivors guilt and PTSD that he’ll spend the rest of his natural life trying to get over and not really live anymore.

I know these are selfish thoughts given they are capable of making their choice, no one pressured them, and it is honorable af to serve your country. I know it’s selfish given how comfy we are here compared to how horrible it is for them over there, especially the ones who helped us and we just decide to up and leave them behind. Talk about backstabbing.

Ugh not ready for this war shit.

Parts are hard. When I’m feeling good/neutral/blah it seems like I have no ability to see or connect. It’s only when my emotions are really strong in some negative direction that I’m able to parse them out. Why is that? How do you connect and “notice” when there’s nothing there to notice? I noticed and she said it seems like I’m pretty disconnected from my emotions/self which is of course part of why we’re doing this and to keep just trying to notice this week. But the past couple days have been decent and I remember I should be checking in and there is just nothing. Everything is just blank. Is it normal for others that the only time they notice these things is when they’re in an intense emotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back