• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship Army Infantry Boyfriend Has Combat PTSD ... Should I Leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is PTSD. I didn't catch the part where he was extremely abusive minus the part where he had a nightmare and attacked you in bed?
This all sounds like me in 2010-2012. Grabbing my girl friend at the times leg at night an yelling, "Where's the medic!?" Raging alcoholic. Couldn't sleep. Extremely negative and felt numb, dead inside and damned to hell for eternity.

Right now guys like this are in the belly of the beast. Looking back to me it seems like the worst part of the journey. They have no coping skills and they're just pushing forward trying to forget. The problem is we're hard wired in the military to toughen the f*ck up and change socks, drink some water and push on. He needs help, but you can't make him get that help.

Because the help means being on pills, the pills which give you erectile dysfunction or other side effects that are less than desirable.
It pains me to think about giving you advice to leave a fellow brother in arms by himself during this time but for you it might be best.
For him if he can stick it through it will be good as well for him to work through things but ultimately there's a high chance of suicide or prison from the alcohol.

I'd like to lay out a plan or path for them to follow but shit I don't know how I made it out of that funk, except for luck an reading posts on here regarding the topic. An slowly not trying to block out the memories that were trying to be processed I suppose I have no idea really but its hell.
Can't forget Gods forgiveness. But talking God to someone in that phase would plant a seed for years later at best. Tell him God forgives and loves him.

Tell him God forgives and loves him.

Not contradicting the idea - but if you go this route do it carefully. People saying this to me was huge trigger because I was told by two ...yes two...military chaplains that my series of unfortunate events were my fault and left me believing there was no way to be forgiven for my actions. Not sure how your God works but that was pretty harsh to hear -- twice - even though I wasn't really religious.

It took years before I would even speak to Christians about anything related to the whole God thing - which was tough because I could have really used something to believe in.

I was told by two ...yes two...military chaplains that my series of unfortunate events were my fault and left me believing there was no way to be forgiven for my actions. Not sure how your God works but that was pretty harsh to hear -- twice - even though I wasn't really religious.

Sorry to hear that Freida. You know in today's time most of the Churches are bogus. The devil is a liar. An we all know he masquerades as religious figures. Popes, Priests, etc. Anyone who honestly repents and asks for forgiveness will receive it according to scripture. I'd recommend the King James Bible and the internet before I'd ever recommend someone to speak to a chaplain. (Even though I'm sure there are some great Chaplains out there.) Few and far between.

There is a lot of confusion and so many being led astray that it makes true believers look bad. Like any organization there's mostly followers and those leading were taught by other blind men. The path is narrow and few shall find it. The thing with being a Christian is you will be hated by man for his sake. (The Lord) So having this whole entire center full of people in there is nothing but a show in my opinion. If a real man of God went into one of these mega churches and started calling out all the mind control and telling everyone to turn off their TV's he'd be boo'd off stage. Trust me. "Gawd he's so negative." Lol.

Modern Christianity can be described as watered down at best.

So you're telling me that you prefer to leave someone in a relationship when they need you most?

Well, have fun with Jody...

Nobody is obligated to stay in any relationship. Everybody is allowed dealbreakers. Untreated mental illness is a more than valid deal breaker, especially when there is an unwillingness to seek treatment or work on symptom management. Nobody deserves to be a chew toy for their partner. PTSD does not give somebody the right to treat their partner like garbage.

This ain't got shit to do with Jody.

This ain't got shit to do with Jody.
Did everybody miss the part where an M16 was held to her chest and a sword was slashing the furniture she was sitting on with threats of killing her? Or are we talking about someone else now?

Regardless, yes, everyone has the prerogative to leave any relationship at any time for any stupid or valid reason they choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back