• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Constant fear of something bad happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvie

New Here
My phone rings, a text from my brother, night time, there is a constant fear that something horrible will happen to my parents or children. It is easing of a little but bet unnerving. I think this comes from my ex narcissistic husband attempting suicide. If anyone has something similar, I would love to hear it, please share😊

Sounds like hypervigilance and thought distortion. How are you with mindfulness exercises? One of my symptoms is suicidal ideation. When I push back against those thoughts they go away sooner than if I imagine myself a victim of them.

there is a constant fear that something horrible will happen to my parents or children.
Is this based on reality? Are you actually afraid something will happen because of a past event(s)?
Yes. I have had hypervigilance so badly that I would go unconscious. Many times a day.

Sounds very familiar. I have a suicidal narcist manic depressive alcoholic medication and morfine additicted mother. I stopped counting at suicideattempt/O.D. number 15 when I was a teenager.

I have accepted my hypervigilance and scanning of people, environment and situations.

What helps me is when I am symptomatic of my CPTSD and/or PTSD I conciously tell myself in my mind or even out loud that this is because of my CPTSD an PTSD.

Its still a work in progress, but it starting to get traction.

Hopefully you will get support, knowledge and skills here that will help you manage it all.

Courage.

I spent years being scared that g would abuse me but I think that's normal cause he was in prison for abusing others. I'm pretty sure it caused my severe anxiety around people. I only dealt with it by becoming so anxious that I couldn't really cope with seeing any of the family so I also stopped seeing him until he came to live with us and it got even worse but then eventually he moved back home then went to hospital and died. My point is anxiety about something bad happening can be normal if it's likely something will actually happen.

I used to wake in the night, unable to recall any nightmare, but with a totally realistic feeling that something terrible had happened. I seem to be over that now, but I lack trust that life can go well, and often experience anxiety that something bad is about to happen. I think it's probably quite common amongst people that have experienced trauma

I used to wake in the night, unable to recall any nightmare, but with a totally realistic feeling that something terrible had happened. I seem to be over that now, but I lack trust that life can go well, and often experience anxiety that something bad is about to happen. I think it's probably quite common amongst people that have experienced trauma
Sounds very familiar. All my life I have had nightmares since 3 years old. Only time I didn’t was when I smoked cannabis Sativa, but now completly sober of all booze, drugs and even drama. And yet still processing during the night. Hypervigiliance is also when you have had traumatic events happened. Also if you are more prone to stress disorder is a big factor. I just keep saying to myself "thats the ptsd talking buddy". Or mantra's from Deepak Chopra seem to work nowadays.

Sucks that you have that no safe place feeling. I ve had that installed through EMDR.

It helps...

Courage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back