• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Cooking for yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reached a goal without even knowing I would today.
currently cooking a bunch of different foods to keep in the fridge
cabbage soup, tuna macaroni salad (son loves), and a baked pasta dish with beer brat (experiment time)

I'm trying to get back to that too @Defaultxlove. I have a few recipes that last a few days or can be frozen. I have to look but I want to post my Freezer Enchilada recipe if I haven't already. It's great, you can pack 'em up for single or family meals and then just throw them in the oven and warm them up.

My favorite food prep hack is roasting sweet potatoes. Just a large tray loaded with sweet potatoes. Also the house smells amazing. And doing so around 180 degrees all day but I mess with that all the time

I love to eat them with toppings but
They also can be added to recipes

This morning I went with the idea to
Make double what I needed
Potatoes/bacon

To store in the fridge.

And another top fav is to blend fresh peeled garlic with olive oil to make paste and keep in the freezer/fridge.

I just buy the fresh peeled and plan to blend it that day. Keeps as long as you need

My Dominican friend taught me that

I really enjoy cooking. Sometimes I just don't have the energy for it, but when it goes it goes. I have a few recipes I know I can make even with boxing gloves and sunglasses in the dark. A few simple fast fixings that are healthy and efficient to bring enough energy, it doesn't need to be very sophisticated to be okay and fast. I have a lot of inspiration from Korean house cooking, it's really easy to fix yourself something that is comfy and healthy and fast. Stuff with leek and fluffy rice and eggs and other vegetables or tofu and chillies, 15mns and it's in front of your face.

I like to cook when I'm feeling activated, it helps with deflecting attention towards something more manageable AND useful, it helps turning back to a stable emotional baseline. And also eating well helps with having better available energy and helps the brain to work okay. When I was in the middle of stopping the benzos I really forced myself to cook and eat no matter how simple it was, just having the few gestures of cooking pastaw eating it and cleaning the pots really did something.

I like to cook when I'm feeling activated, it helps with deflecting attention towards something more manageable AND useful, it helps turning back to a stable emotional baseline.
That's EXACTLY what I find. Concentrate on something, do something that is essentially self care. I find it also translates into "while I'm up I might as well.....", and I start doing other things that need doing.

My favorite food prep hack is roasting sweet potatoes. Just a large tray loaded with sweet potatoes. Also the house smells amazing. And doing so around 180 degrees all day but I mess with that all the time
Doing that with the white ones, until they just begin to caramelise? Then chill before slicing thin. Makes the most amaaaaaaszing potatoes au gratin w/ Camembert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back