• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Covid ‘long haulers’ support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barefoot

MyPTSD Pro
I had my first Coronavirus symptom about seven weeks ago. Whilst I have improved from the initial 2-3 week mark, I’m still feeling really unwell, struggling with symptoms including shortness of breath and chest/rib pain as well as weakness/exhaustion.

Here in the UK, the official message at the beginning of the Covid crisis was that, for the vast majority of people who catch it, they will feel mildly ill for a few days to a week or so (and perhaps won’t even realise they have it at all) while a small number of people (generally those who fall into the vulnerable category) will fall seriously ill and require hospital treatment.

But over the past few days, I’ve read a few pieces about the thousands of other people who are having a much longer Covid experience - ‘long haulers’ as they seem to be being called. Most of whom, like me, were not in the vulnerable category and who are still considered ‘mild’ cases as most of them didn’t end up in hospital.

In my seven weeks, I’ve had two occasions where I thought I was getting better. The improvement lasted a few days each time. Then I slid back.

The latest backslide started three days ago. I have been feeling very low this weekend as a result.

Wondering whether anyone else here is (or was - now recovered) a ‘Covid long hauler’? And, if so, would you be interested in posting here to share your experience and how you’re doing, to swap ideas around things that have been helping (or not), to ask for/offer support, to post stories of improvement and recovery too...?

I’m feeling very alone with this at the moment and it feels difficult emotionally as well as physically. But I know there are many more people having this kind of experience and I wonder whether a thread on this could help us?

Happy to share more about my experience - just wanted to check whether there was any interest first before I started saying more!

Idk if this is at all helpful, but I didn't catch it but my friend had a similar experience, it lasted almost two weeks and they're finally starting to feel better now. I think this thread is an awesome idea and boosting it!!

Understand you feeling low with another downturn @barefoot I did too.

As you describe, I had several goes round of feeling better then worsening again.

Around 4th downturn was the last for me though. Was unwell around 9 - 1weeks altogether and have been feeling much better since. I'd say I'm well again *touch wood*

I too have read a few articles recently describing others with a similar experience to me. And I found them really validating actually because I had constantly doubted I had it because my symptoms and how long I had them for did not match what the government had been saying.

What symptoms did you have?

The worst for me was feeling too exhausted to get out of bed, bad chest / breathing difficulties, diarrhoea, headaches

So glad to hear you have hopefully come out the other side now @Teasel - 10 weeks is a long time to be battling this horrible disease. It's great to hear you have improved so much – great for you and also encouraging for me!

Like you, I found reading others' stories who were having a similar experience to me quite validating. It's good to know I'm not the only person who is too pathetic or lazy to shake this off and get back to normal. I also found it a little depressing though...the possibility that I may still have several weeks to go or that this may develop into a chronic condition.

In my late teens/early 20s I struggled with M.E/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and this experience at the moment feels very similar. It was a very bleak time and stressful for lots of reasons. I think my current low mood is partly because of feeling physically unwell, in pain and depleted but also partly because it's jangling some old health issues, which involved upsetting experiences.

Not getting carried away with myself...I know it may not (probably will not) come to that. But the possibility is definitely a worry.

At its peak (the first three weeks) my worst symptoms were:
- exhaustion and shortness of breath
- constant intense pain in my ribs, chest and back (felt like I'd been bashed with a hammer!)
- feeling like something was sitting on my chest when I lay down, which made breathing (and sleep!) very difficult
- 'crackles' when I inhale and squeaky wheezes on exhale when I lay down
- pain lower down than my throat (in my upper respiratory tract, I assume??) and a raspy voice
- abdominal pain, dicky tummy and reflux pain

My main symptoms now are:
- fatigue/weakness
- pains in ribs/chest/back – worse in right rib, which also has a weird kind of inflated/full up/swollen/pressured sensation
- shortness of breath when I do anything like walk upstairs, get dressed, talk non-stop for a few minutes (but blood oxygen levels are fine)
- 'crackles' when I inhale when I lay down
- dicky tummy
- temperature is quite low at the moment

Had a check-in with my GP yesterday and she has given me antibiotics in case it has developed into a lung infection – the rib pain, crackles and low temperature are all signs that it could be, apparently. Will be great if that's what it is and the antibiotics can blitz it and then I can feel better sooner. Not holding my breath though (literally or metaphorically!) as it could just be a slow Covid recovery. We'll see...

I think lots of people don't know they have it because their symptoms don't match the official key symptoms. Most people I've spoken to who have had it didn't have a high temperature/feel feverish and only had a mild cough – or didn't really have a cough at all. And symptoms just see, so varied.

I guess as it is still a new virus there is still a lot to learn and many uncertainties...

Just to say, the last round of my chest getting bad I was prescribed anti biotics too, and haven't had another round of worsening symptoms since. Actually have recovered since. The GP prescribed them saying we don't want you to pneumonia.

Great that your Doc has prescribed some for you, agree on the wheezing and crackling could be down to that.

Hoping you'll begin to feel better very soon @barefoot Understand the concerns, I was quite frightened at times, it's the unknowns, what ifs and the erratic nature of thinking you're getting better only to bevoke quite ill again.

I was down with corona-like symptoms that later (antibodies test) turned out not have been corona for some 2 mos (no ATBs / allergies and getting the wind of my GP for prn of one I tolerate was difficult in that time frame) so figures shouldn't comment (given it *wasn't* covid) -

But well wishes & hope it's soon out with the least lasting damage. ;)

Glad you managed to escape it @Ronin – though I'm not sure how accurate/reliable the antibodies test is considered to be?

Starting to feel a bit better again. Not sure if that's the antibiotics working or it's just improving over time. This is the third time I've been in this position of feeling slightly improved so thinking this was me getting better and then after a few days I feel worse again. So, I'm not counting my chickens but I am crossing my fingers that I manage to stay on an upward trajectory this time.

Anyway...I thought there'd be more people who might want to take part in this thread. As there aren't (which is, of course, fine) I'll just leave this here as it was never meant to just be a thread about me talking about my health! ?

I had my first Coronavirus symptom about seven weeks ago. Whilst I have improved from the initial 2-3 week mark, I’m still feeling really unwell, struggling with symptoms including shortness of breath and chest/rib pain as well as weakness/exhaustion.

Here in the UK, the official message at the beginning of the Covid crisis was that, for the vast majority of people who catch it, they will feel mildly ill for a few days to a week or so (and perhaps won’t even realise they have it at all) while a small number of people (generally those who fall into the vulnerable category) will fall seriously ill and require hospital treatment.

But over the past few days, I’ve read a few pieces about the thousands of other people who are having a much longer Covid experience - ‘long haulers’ as they seem to be being called. Most of whom, like me, were not in the vulnerable category and who are still considered ‘mild’ cases as most of them didn’t end up in hospital.

In my seven weeks, I’ve had two occasions where I thought I was getting better. The improvement lasted a few days each time. Then I slid back.

The latest backslide started three days ago. I have been feeling very low this weekend as a result.

Wondering whether anyone else here is (or was - now recovered) a ‘Covid long hauler’? And, if so, would you be interested in posting here to share your experience and how you’re doing, to swap ideas around things that have been helping (or not), to ask for/offer support, to post stories of improvement and recovery too...?

I’m feeling very alone with this at the moment and it feels difficult emotionally as well as physically. But I know there are many more people having this kind of experience and I wonder whether a thread on this could help us?

Happy to share more about my experience - just wanted to check whether there was any interest first before I started saying more!
Hi!

I saw this post and just had to come on and share. I have not read all of the responses, so apologize if my advice is redundant.
I got corona symptoms late March, I believe from a school parent who later said she had "burning lungs".
I was never tested (no testing in my state then). But, holy cow, the symptoms were so diff from a reg cold or even the flu!
For 1 mos straight I had aching body pains especially in my neck. I had traveling arthritis pains too. I had severe nausea and had to get a prescription for, but ended up using an indica patch which worked better. I had a burning, stinging in my lungs, shortness of breath and weakness.
I would have dizzy spells and confusion which in hind sight seems like that may have been low oxygen. I couldn't really move or think straight. I also had nervous system effects like loss of taste, smell, anxiety, agitation, and weird insomnia where I would have vivid dreams within a light sleep. I never got a fever, but would feel flushed and then chilled. I also had a mild cough that sounded like a barking seal.
The most intense symptoms lasted for three weeks. I used high doses of NAC and slippery elm for my lungs as I didn't want to end up in the ER.

After 3 weeks, my symptoms began to wax and wane, this cold felt more like coming off of SSRIs and benzos than any sort of reg flu. I would have windows and waves, but still no appetite or taste/smell. I can remember my husband made brownies, and I did not know. I was putting hot sauce on everything just for the taste.
I also was struggling with depression (that felt chemical).
I finally felt better when I nebulized argentyne 23, I dont know about this and it felt risky, but I was fine and actually got a little better.

After about 2 weeks of feeling mostly recovered, it came back!
So, I did research and decided to attack the virus (no not with sunshine or bleach, lol) but with easy toxin removing things.
This is what REALLY helped!
1. Bentonite clay, food grade, mine comes in water, I add 2 tablespoons to water. You initially feel a little worse, then better.
2. Collustrum, I like lipsomal version I got on Amazon. This was similuar to clay, you can feel it "pulling" the virus out.
3. Long hot baths with epsom salt. I would sweat.
4. Cold ally tea from Rebecca's Apothecary in Boulder, CO. Also makes you sweat and they do shipping
5. Lung tea from Rebeccas.
6. NAC did help, but I dont always tolerate well, so I dropped it.
7. Vit c powder, like 5,000 mg.

So, with the clay especially, I started to get better within 24 hours.
I think we stay sick longer because it is new and our body needs help just detoxing and removing it.

So sorry to hear you have also been unwell with the virus @Scarlet13 – I hope you are now on the up!

The waxing and waning does seem to be quite common.

I've had that weird sleep state too – hard to get to sleep and then feeling like you're sleeping quite lightly....but also having very vivid, intense dreams. It's quite a strange experience.

Thanks for sharing your list of things that you've been doing that have helped. I'm in the UK so I'm not sure what some of the things are! But I'm going to be sure to research them further. Particularly interested in the clay!

Wishing you well with your continued recovery!

I may be misreading but has anybody mentioned zinc?

May be OTC med. Though I'd still check it up with a doc for interactions.

Will look that up @Ronin - thanks. I think it is OTC here, yes.

I'm only taking vitamin C and vitamin D at the moment in terms of supplements. I should probably branch out!

Also thinking I should look at food...maybe look to eat more foods known for their anti-inflammatory/immune system boosting properties or something?! Anyone have any thoughts on healing foods??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back