• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Doing EMDR as well as my normal therapy??

• Thread starter Deleted member 51804
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 51804

I have been in therapy for a little over a year now and making some progress although it seems like only a little, however yesterday in a phone call with therapist, she suggested I start EMDR which she can’t offer and she said that we would still continue our work alongside that. Has anyone got experience with doing both together? I am concerned about messing with anything right now as we have just started to move away from the memories and in to the more somatic stuff. Any and all replies appreciated muchly!

I have been in therapy for a little over a year now and making some progress although it seems like only a little, however yesterday in a phone call with therapist, she suggested I start EMDR which she can’t offer and she said that we would still continue our work alongside that. Has anyone got experience with doing both together? I am concerned about messing with anything right now as we have just started to move away from the memories and in to the more somatic stuff. Any and all replies appreciated muchly!
I was suggested as well, though out where I live this therapist are in high demand so I’m on a waitlist for three. It’s sort of surreal how many people have trauma so bad they need EMDR. It’s weird in the sense that growing up I always felt alone and dramatic when I was going through it. But I heard how beneficial EMDR is at reworking distortions and shame. I think you’ll benefit from it, and doing reprocessing with your original therapist will help ground you even more. Wish you the best :)

EMDR has been the #1 most beneficial treatment modality for me. I would highly recommend it. When it works, it works. It really puts the old stuff in the past to rest so it doesn’t affect your nervous system in the present anymore.

I’ve been doing both about 6 months now. But it’s with the same therapist. We do one day EMDR and one day talk therapy. I actually go twice a week. EMDR on Friday and regular therapy Monday or Tuesday. I don’t think I could do EMDR without the talk therapy because it’s intense and brings up a lot.

I am doing EMDR therapy. It always ends up being a bit of a mix. The reason is as you add reprocessing tasks you know when the beginning is - but not the end or how "loaded" you will be with reprocessing tasks. That leads to one of the most difficult things to deal with about EMDR.

Because essentially what is going on is reprocessing is like going through a card index of memories, changing how you feel about them, sometimes it's flying through them and sometimes its busy pulling and fixing them - but you don't know how busy it really is. You can go from OK to fully loaded any time at any moment. And its literally changing moment at moment at times.

So there are times you can move on and add more tasks, and times you can't. In the "can't" times we do other stuff in therapy, usually around understanding and coping skills.

One of the effects of EMDR is the PTSD amnesia fog recedes and as it does there is more to deal with. Stuff just pops out of no where. I have had all sorts of stuff popup just answering posts here. It's just how it unlocks those memories can be sudden and surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back