• All donations and upgrades are manually verified and approved within 24hrs.
  • Upgrades are ongoing. Learn how to save your bookmarked posts.

Groceries in the time of covid

Things are getting less tense here by a lot. The arrows are there still but they are getting.worn off and people aren’t doing it nor reacting when they don’t. It was tense awhile which yes made it very difficult but it’s backing off.

I go to a big box store and only recently started going in the. supermarket regularly, which is a much different more crowded and people intense experience.

But I’m better and I’m not reacting as badly as I was and I suppose I’m calming down as everyone else does which is nice.

So I try and stop and always let everyone else go first and be in my guard for anyone who is tweaked that I react kindly. It’s quite an effort to be that aware, but I try.

I have some pretty substantial Oppositional Defiant Disorder, so I go opposite the arrows on principle. I know, I'm an assh*le. Now, if the aisle is too full, I'll skip it, but as far as directional instructions, I give society the Finger!!

I also use a LOT of online shopping and only go into stores if I need to personally choose my produce, or I need something immediately.

Last edited:
I have some pretty substantial Oppositional Defiant Disorder, so I go opposite the arrows on principle. I know, I'm an assh*le. Now, if the aisle is too full, I'll skip it, but as far as directional instructions, I give society the Finger!!
Your principles have something to do with your ODD or is your label a way to validate in your head that you don't have to try to follow the rules? Marching to one's own drummer is one thing where the potential to do harm to others is minimal. But choosing to screw things up on purpose with directions....and does that mean you don't wear a mask properly or don't stay 6 feet from people-those are rules, too. ....I'm someone in the high risk category who also needs to use the store and my immune system is compromised......I can use the store relatively safely if everyone follows the store rules.....but your post comes across as if you don't care about the safety of yourself or others in your community....that's sad. .......... I just don't understand your response....I know people who have died from Covid......

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone improving their shopping experience during this virus scare? Got any tips? So far, I feel like I just internally micromanage every aisle to a much greater extent than I used to. It just sucks.
It is scary when people don't adhere to the rules. It really freaked me out to start with. Full on panic sweating in the shops. Even that didn't make people stay 2 meters away from me!
Online shopping. Works a treat.
Also, going at hours when it is quieter. It's amazing how most people haven't changed their Saturday weekly shop. We used to go on a Saturday too. But since pandemic we have changed. We now go Monday evening, about an hour before the shop closes. No one in the supermarket. And added bonus of loads and loads of reduced food on sale! Win win!

I go opposite the arrows on principle
What's the 'principle'???

The arrows are there to help people keep a safe distance while they shop. So, your principle in deliberately ignoring that is...???

With so much anxiety in the community about places where social distancing is difficult, like grocery shopping, do you think maybe you've got it in you to not make things even more, unnecessarily stressful for people by just going with the arrows?

If it's for a bit of a laugh, perhaps consider the multitude of people who are suffering genuine anxiety about their own, and others safety. Shopping (as demonstrated by this thread), has become so genuinely anxiety-provoking for a lot of people that they're looking for ways to avoid it altogether. That anxiety is very real, and very distressing.

If the arrows served no purpose, and were rules for the sake of rules, I'd get it. But given they're trying to help people make the experience less distressing and safer, maybe consider tackling your urge to do the other thing.

Just a thought.

Is anyone improving their shopping experience during this virus scare? Got any tips? So far, I feel like I just internally micromanage every aisle to a much greater extent than I used to. It just sucks.
@RussellSue sorry you have to deal with these fear states. I use to have tape on my back and on certain trigger areas on my body (Heart region) in order to deal with Angst. And sometimes while I am shopping I smell on oils.

Shopping (as demonstrated by this thread), has become so genuinely anxiety-provoking for a lot of people that they're looking for ways to avoid it altogether. That anxiety is very real, and very distressing.
^^^ This!

I was gonna type how difficult it is for me but this really sums it all up. Shopping is so difficult that I am eating weird concoctions just to avoid going. If everyone followed the damn rules, it would be easier.

Top Bottom