• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has Anyone Taken The Genesight Test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
I am reconsidering meds but since I've been on so many, I was wondering if the Genesight test might help narrow them down a bit for me. Has anyone taken it and, if so, what was your experience?

I am reconsidering meds but since I've been on so many, I was wondering if the Genesight test might help narrow them down a bit for me. Has anyone taken it and, if so, what was your experience?

At this point that test is still inconclusive so wouldn’t waste the money on it. If you had one or a combo that worked before I would go back with it. Otherwise you can try the shotgun approach and hit a few different neuro transmitters at once and hope to get lucky. That’s what my PDoc did with mine after trying several single treatments.

DNA Tests For Psychiatric Drugs Are Controversial But Some Insurers Are Covering Them

At this point that test is still inconclusive so wouldn’t waste the money on it. If you had one or a combo that worked before I would go back with it. Otherwise you can try the shotgun approach and hit a few different neuro transmitters at once and hope to get lucky. That’s what my PDoc did with mine after trying several single treatments.

Thanks @Rainman8772. Yeah. Nothing works and I don't have a pdoc, so I'm trying to decide what to do.

Thanks @Rainman8772. Yeah. Nothing works and I don't have a pdoc, so I'm trying to decide what to do.

None of it has got me back to the “old” me but, the right combo has helped ease things so most times I can work through them without blowing up. Still have those days at times when I question myself just fewer of them. Wish I could tell you what would work but we are all different. Even down to the time of day you take each med comes into play.

What all have you tried?

Amitryptiline, Nortriptyline, Lexapro, Celexa, Prozac, Abilify w/Effexor, Zyprexa, Zoloft, Cymbalta and I could go on. The tricyclics helped, but only at extremely high doses; the Abilify/Effexor combo was probably the one I noticed the most change on, but I had side effects that I couldn't tolerate. I seem to react better to SSNRs; I'm thinking I would like to retry Cymbalta, as it also helps with fibro and nerve pain.

I do Effexor in the morning, Buspar 3 times per day, mirtazipine at night and prazosin. The mirtazipine and Effexor have a synergistic effect when taken together. The low dose mirtazipine knocks me out at night then the Effexor wakes me up in the morning. It also stopped the side effects I had with Effexor alone. Buspar takes the edge off a little and prazosin works for nightmares. Google “California rocket fuel”

I just really don't want to take any more medicine than is absolutely necessary. I already take 3 or 4 other things and I don't believe that meds are better than no meds. Frustrating.

I don’t like taking meds either but if it works I will take it, if not I won’t. What truly worked the best was benzodiazepines but doctors do not like to prescribe long term. Also I had CVS lose a prescription I dropped off once and had to go through withdrawals so will not take them any longer. That was a rough trip I do not wish to go on again.

How long were you on it when you tried it the first time?

I honestly don't remember. He usually kept me on anything I tried for at least 3 months, but I've been on so many (and some twice) over such a long period of time I just don't recall.

I honestly don't remember.
That's OK. I was asking because Cymbalta is a drug I took, and it was very helpful for me for a period of time. I started on it when it was still relatively new, and didn't understand when it stopped working. They've learned that it starts losing efficacy after 3 years, and becomes pretty useless after 5. That being said - for me, it was certainly helpful for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back