• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you stop being so hard on youself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Self beating doesn't mean you're f*cked.

Prob'ly different book, but to me f*cked = irreparable damage was done or is about to be done.

Self beating ain't irreparable.
It's very very fixable. :)
I am getting closer to this now. Thank you for your input. It's such an OCD thinking loop that I get stuck in. I am trying to challenge it. It trips me up at times. I go around and around in my head. Then to get away from the thinking I shut down. That's not optimal.

Can you please explain a bit more about this?
I disassociated my abuse for 45 years, I always knew it happened but shoved it so far down that I very rarely thought about it. Starting 5 years ago when I had a mental collapse and began getting treatment and for the first time learning about CSA I began to understand that throughout my life many decision I made that I thought were all mine were in fact guided, influenced and controlled by the damage from my CSA.

For a person that was always very sure of myself it rocked my perceptions and confidence

I did really well yesterday but that didn't stop me from beating myself up last night for not doing more. I am relentlessly critical of myself, no matter how well I am going. I did really well yesterday and the day before and I really put in the hours with the study and I did the exams. I am processing so much and I am doing exposure therapy with myself. I am not slacking off at all. I also took really good care of B and made him some lovely meals, but no I beat myself up. I am unreasonable towards myself. I wouldn't treat anyone else like this.

Last night I was being too hard on myself. And then I ate dinner and kept on snacking. I am probably being too hard on myself judging my eating as well. I didn't binge eat. I am doing okay. It's just hard to manage sometimes. I also could have gone, after 6 hours study, to do work outside in the garden but I had this sense of having no time so I kept pushing myself and then I dissociated and then I punished myself. I am of no assistance to myself sometimes. I am just way too hard on myself. So this is good awareness and I am back studying today and I have some paperwork to fill out for my teaching.

I have stayed with it today. I am anxious. The beating myself up is to distraction of my feelings. It's a way to survive the unsurvivable. It's a way of experiencing me. It's a bad habit. It's a ton of shite as well.

I am just so brilliant at being hard, harsh and critical of myself. If I could take that energy and use it to live my life. What could I do? It's really anxiety producing to do what I am doing at the moment. So worth it but so challenging! Egads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back