• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Medical Marijuana And PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed a 100% difference in myself when I smoke. I don't get high, it just takes away all the anxiety and slows down my thoughts. I like being around people, I'm not so scared and I can get simple things done, like cleaning my house, grocery shopping,etc. I feel I'm in the present,not the past. I also can go right to sleep at night and don't have nightmares. It makes me a functioning member of society.

Jadebear do not feel guilty. It is a very good herb with lots of medical potential! I'm glad to hear it has helped you take a more active role in society. I hope your success continues and goes beyond your expectations! =)

Indicas and Indica dominant strains (such as Purple Kush, White Widow, Cali Orange) contain more CBD and CBN over THC. This means the high will be more of a couch-lock, relaxing, body high. This stuff can knock you out, so it's best used in the evening. It's great for people who need to relax, lessen and control pain, and just want to chill. It's not recommended to use during the day, as it will burn you out. These strains can be more "addictive" to some as it sometimes offers "opium" like effects.

I realize everyone is different, but i have found that this helps me during the day and doesn't knock me out. I am so very overly anxious that this is what it takes to mellow me out. I have noticed that it is pretty addictive though, at least mentally.

OK, the difference for me is being able to use cannabis the way it "should" be used, or simply abusing it (and myself) - this is when it becomes an avoidance issue. Have been grateful for it, many times. Helps me function, like you said Jadebear, "almost normal". But, over the years it turned into something I abused. Check it out, Bob Marley got nothin' on me, we're talkin non-stop bong loads, ok?

So, my goal now is to face the music, get my symptoms under control,
and be able to use it like a "tool", like medication - and not just to numb-out reality. I built a kick-ass porfolio, and cannabis was a big reason why. I had no clue, no diagnosis - so that was how I self medicated for a long time. And, I had lots of company.

Many of my most successful friends, creatives and athletes use cannabis, big time. In the social circles I've been involved in its been totally accepted since like the mid 70's.

For me, edible Indica strain would probably be the bomb; its a tool, like anything. Hey, I could abuse my Seroquel too, but that would be self defeating.
Same with herb, IMO. Its all about the discipline of self control, and right now when it comes to good weed, I ain't got it. Simple as that.

One more thing, its hard on my budjet. But, with the new medicinal laws I can grow my own, so that is probably the way for me to go.

I can completely relate to you. I've been on prozac and citalopram about 6 years ago but neither helped.
I have never tried any drugs in my life (well apart from alcohol..) til I moved away from 'home'
I live in the UK so we don't have medical marijuana.. I started smoking weed everyday about 3 years ago and I would just go crazy without it... I never knew I could feel happy before. My GP + T know about the use and frequency of smoking weed and they just said "keep doing what your doing just make sure you stay away from alcohol because its a depressant'. It's enabled me to eat and enjoy food, helps with the insomnia and depression everyday and I am able to progress with what I should be getting on with; to try and work for a better future to escape this nightmare. I hate that its illegal here though.. There are people out there who this helps a great deal on a daily basis... :( I worry about getting caught..

Being touted in some places as nature's best and safest medicine, marijuana is now available as a legal medicine for PTSD in the state of New Mexico :) ... ([DLMURL]http://newmexicoindependent.com/50003/nm-sets-example-in-ptsd-medical-marijuana-treatment[/DLMURL]

This may or may not be good news for PTSD sufferers in the states; while New Mexico found there's enough evidence to approve marijuana use for PTSD, next door in Colorado lawmakers recently rejected a similar proposal.

I have PTSD, but I live in the state that spends the most money trying to eradicate the plant....Kentucky. :( The decision to write tickets for simple marijuana possession in lieu of jail time is a big move for the state of Ky, but it is not the same as passing a law that will allow PTSD sufferers to seek relief from their symptoms medically.

I personally think medical marijuana for PTSD should be further researched and legalized appropriately, but let me define what medical marijuana is....

*(the following info comes from *Wikipedia)

"Medical Marijuana (or cannabis) refers to the use of the herb as a physician-recommended form of medicine or herbal therapy, or to synthetic forms of specific cannabinoids such a THC as a physician-recommended form of medicine."

"The cannabis plant from which medical marijuana is derived has a long history of medicinal use, dating back to 2,737 B.C.E. Synthetic cannabinoids, such as Marinol and Cesamet are available as prescription drugs in some countries. *(for the whole article go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis)

Barack Obama's stand on Medical Mariuana...

The FDA has Approved a new PTSD Study with Medical Marijuana...
[DLMURL]http://santacruz.patch.com/articles/fda-approves-new-ptsd-study-with-medical-marijuana[/DLMURL]

The arguments around marijuana and PTSD start running in circles at a certain point. Scientists say more research is needed. Activists counter that the federal government has blocked research because marijuana is illegal. The American Medical Association has called for controlled studies to settle this and other questions about the effectiveness of marijuana.

I wanted to end by making these few statements;

As a long time marijuana user and PTSD sufferer, I am obviously biased in my opinion on the subject...(but then who really is the expert here?) LOL

Contrary to popular belief, no one has ever died from smoking marijuana and it does not kill brain cells, so in the hands of doctors and responsible adults, I do not see it doing any harm to investigate the idea that Marijuana and some of it's derivatives may hold potential as a medicine to treat PTSD.

Quite frankly, I would prefer to remain an otherwise, law-abiding citizen with a good quality of medicinal marijuana under the guidance of a trained physician for my PTSD symptoms as opposed to being a "law-breaking, pot-head" struggling to ease an incurable and chronic illness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do smoke sometimes & I have found that it helps relax my racing thoughts. I also use meditation, exercise etc. When used in moderation I am able to function thru my day better. It's the ONLY thing that helps with the fibromyalgia pain. Some days I'm in so much pain that I can barely function. Pharmaceuticals have never been effective in pain management for me.

I have to say that it's disturbing how many people are more than willing to pop a pill with the potential to do way more damage to the body/mind than pot ever will but somehow the thought of smoking or eating marijuana is offensive. Mind boggling!

(((Dee))),

I have fibro too and I can totally relate, nothing else helps to ease the fibro pain, ...(or ease stress, induce relaxation, increase appetite, relieve insomnia, etc., etc). lol :D

I have PTSD, CFS/Fibro, Major Depression/S.A.D., IBS (bowel and bladder), COPD, GERD, Arthritis, etc and I have to say, I haven't found one medication that helps as much or for as many different symptoms....(and if I wrote down the individual symptoms that I suffer, you would see that it's quite a list)...Perhaps I should be the poster boy for Medical Marijuana. :) LOL

I would really love prescription marijuana. But it is a pretty big part of my drug addicted past, maybe when I am much older and have no responsibilities I will indulge.

Yeah, I think prescription marijuana is the way to go.

I started smoking marijuana about 28 years ago, about the time I started drinking and experimenting with drugs. I no longer drink or do drugs, but I still have a fondness for smoke, since it is one of the few medicines that target the majority of my symptoms. *( I have several chronic illnesses that respond to m.j.).

I have heard some people say that if they legalize it and start prescribing it for stress, they would be the first in line. hahahahaha (.............and so would "we"!!!!)

Anyways, we are not really talking about getting high as much as we are talking about getting a medication that will treat our PTSD symptoms, safely and naturally. I think that as a medicine, marijuana has not begun to reach it's full potential for healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back