• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My first appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunsetDawn83

Confident
So, my first appointment is in 4 weeks. Kinda nervous but also kinda happy. It's a matter of now of what to tell my mum (aka my abuser) that I've ptsd and llI need therapy. If I do tell ger it to be like 20 questions of why. Why this, why that.

i'm a bit mystified why you would tell mum, at all. if you were able to schedule your own appointment, this part of your healing journey should be yours and no one else's. luv u mum, but this one ain't nun of ur biz.

just my opine, but i was fully estranged from my mother when i started psychotherapy. at that point, i wasn't even telling her my address or phone number.

steadying support while you sort your own, dawn.

Getting to know this sort of stuff makes us vulnerable. So unless there's something specific that I want the person to do with the information, I don't tell them. For example, I want my mum to know I won't be available on Tuesdays, because I'm having therapy that day and it will be a difficult day for me.

On top of that? Knowing this kind of stuff is a privilege. Not everyone in our lives is entitled to that privilege. And that's about healthy boundaries.

My first appointment is in just over a week and I'm getting anxious about it. It's been I while since I had therapy (CBT for GAD. I'm more anxious about the fact that they won't believe me.

My first session was yesterday, it was very informative. I'll be getting around 12 sessions and only for PTSD as they don't help with cptsd due to it being complex and long-lasting. So after my sessions, I've no idea what'll happen next. Im so confused about my diagnosis.

My first session was yesterday, it was very informative. I'll be getting around 12 sessions and only for PTSD as they don't help with cptsd due to it being complex and long-lasting. So after my sessions, I've no idea what'll happen next. Im so confused about my diagnosis.

Hi @SunsetDawn83, it sounds like you are in the UK is that right?

The NHS services that are offered through IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) are short term interventions, on the whole these are the services you can self refer to. They tend to not be able to support with cPTSD as you say due to its complexity and long lasting nature. I find, in the want to help people, they offer what they can which are short term treatments for the more regularly seen issues. It is worth keeping in mind that they are not able to give a diagnosis, this can only be done by a psychiatrist. They do screen for symptoms and offer treatments accordingly but it is not a formal diagnosis. You should be able to ask your GP if you would like a referral to a psychiatrist.

I had a course of Trauma Focused CBT and EMDR though these services which were really helpful so there is lots you can take from their support. You are always able to ask what will happen in the sessions and what will come next. It might be they are able to offer you more support, or refer you on elsewhere, or help you plan next steps.

Being in NHS services can be a bit of a battle to get what you need but there are some really great things they can provide and help with. Stick with it and try and focus step by step.

Hi @SunsetDawn83, it sounds like you are in the UK is that right?

The NHS services that are offered through IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) are short term interventions, on the whole these are the services you can self refer to. They tend to not be able to support with cPTSD as you say due to its complexity and long lasting nature. I find, in the want to help people, they offer what they can which are short term treatments for the more regularly seen issues. It is worth keeping in mind that they are not able to give a diagnosis, this can only be done by a psychiatrist. They do screen for symptoms and offer treatments accordingly but it is not a formal diagnosis. You should be able to ask your GP if you would like a referral to a psychiatrist.

I had a course of Trauma Focused CBT and EMDR though these services which were really helpful so there is lots you can take from their support. You are always able to ask what will happen in the sessions and what will come next. It might be they are able to offer you more support, or refer you on elsewhere, or help you plan next steps.

Being in NHS services can be a bit of a battle to get what you need but there are some really great things they can provide and help with. Stick with it and try and focus step by step.
Hi there @Hopefully, yeah I'm in the UK. Im going to see how I go with this trauma focussed cbt for a few weeks (9weeks remaining) and if there's no improvement I'll be seeing a doctor for a referral to see a psychiatrist.

I've applied for help from IAPT 4 times and was refused treatment because I have a history of complex trauma so your lucky they've accepted you. I hope it helps and you can gain some healing ground.

I've applied for help from IAPT 4 times and was refused treatment because I have a history of complex trauma so your lucky they've accepted you. I hope it helps and you can gain some healing ground.
Im sorry to hear that @Survivor3. I know what you mean though the iapt won't help with Cptsd because it's complex. I've not gotten help for my cptsd just PTSD. So after that's finished I've no idea where to go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back