• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My HR Shared My Medical Information with Other Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately we use Gmail and I don't think the message can be recalled. I know that the recipients are working now because I work in a school system and all three people are principals, unfortunately, so I assume all three have seen it.

That sounds like a good idea. I was also thinking of asking something like "I would like it on record that the principals should not have had that information and will in no way act on it. However, now that the principals have my medical information, what will the HR department be doing to make certain I am protected from discrimination on that basis?" or something to that degree?

So in full, I wanted to ask the following:

1. That the principals delete the email containing my medical information
2. That my record reflect that it was not my choice to share that medical information with the principals and an assurance that they will in no way act on it or share it with others.
3. Now that the principals have my confidential medical information, what will the HR department be doing to ensure I am protected from discrimination.
4. I would like an apology and assurance of the steps they will be taking to ensure that my medical information is not shared with parties that I have not consented that my information be shared to.

Does that all seem reasonable?

Thank you, I appreciate that. I cried for about three hours this morning before I had it together enough to create a measured response enough to contact the union. I'm waiting for my union representative to email me back since I asked her if she'd be willing to proof-read my email that they are encouraging that I write to the union.

It seems reasonable, but it's likely they won't do it.

I've had this issue twice - no, three times - with HR, my supervisor, and a psychiatrist. They refused to even discuss it. Short of reporting them (violations of HIPAA can be a criminal offense), there was really nothing else to do. In my case, I chose not to pursue.

Since you have a union, it might be handled differently (and better!).

Hey all, I opted to talk to the principals today individually and let them know the email they received had medical information I wasn't prepared to share at the level it was shared at. They all said they hadn't scrolled down but they would not be looking for it and they would keep it to themselves if they see anything. All 3 said they were glad I said something to them about it.

Kudos for doing this!

I've had this issue twice - no, three times - with HR, my supervisor, and a psychiatrist. They refused to even discuss it. Short of reporting them (violations of HIPAA can be a criminal offense), there was really nothing else to do. In my case, I chose not to pursue.

Kudos for doing this!
If it is a HIPPA violation, the paperwork can be removed.

Kudos for doing this!
You are on a network, all emails are backed up....all emails are accessible by your employer because the computers are theirs. ......maybe unless you are in a very poor backward county.

It *can* be, but that doesn't mean it will be.
I found out x husband, who was husband heading out the door, went to my ENT and had a letter put in my file that said he thought I was bipolar......I wasn't. I found such letter on a flash drive with the date, and the letter was typed by him. I went to the ENT's secretary. I said, please check my Hippa and who I signed that is allowed to have input into my file...... She was nice, checked it out right then, and said "no one." She looked online, said here it is.......and removed it permanently. It took 5 minutes. That's how I did it...If you haven't given permission, they are required to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back