Sufferer Need somewhere to let off steam

thm34

New Here
Hi all
I've recently been diagnosed with PTSD following a near death experience in November during a prolonged inpatient stay in hospital for a long term health condition. I've been having flashbacks, nightmares and panic attacks and I now have a fear of going into the hospital.
I've never had anything like this before and I'm generally a positive person, however I have family experience of mental health conditions, my whole family have experienced depression, my sister has BPD and my other half has bipolar with two previous attempts to take his life,but very well at the moment.
Now I need the support and I'm finding it hard to accept what has happened to me and I'm sick of feeling down. I've been referred for counselling.
Just wanted to have somewhere to let off steam without affecting family members health.
Thanks for reading

Hi all
I've recently been diagnosed with PTSD following a near death experience in November during a prolonged inpatient stay in hospital for a long term health condition. I've been having flashbacks, nightmares and panic attacks and I now have a fear of going into the hospital.
I've never had anything like this before and I'm generally a positive person, however I have family experience of mental health conditions, my whole family have experienced depression, my sister has BPD and my other half has bipolar with two previous attempts to take his life,but very well at the moment.
Now I need the support and I'm finding it hard to accept what has happened to me and I'm sick of feeling down. I've been referred for counselling.
Just wanted to have somewhere to let off steam without affecting family members health.
Thanks for reading
Hello there,

I'm so glad you reached out to us here at myptsd.com. It sounds like you have been through a tremendous amount of stress and trauma, and it's completely understandable that you're finding it difficult to accept and cope with what has happened to you.

This community is here to offer you support and understanding. We're a peer-to-peer community, so everyone here has either experienced or is supporting someone with PTSD or CPTSD. You're not alone in this journey, and connecting with others who can relate to your experiences can be incredibly helpful.

It's great to hear that you've been referred for counseling. Counseling can be a valuable tool for processing and healing from trauma. In addition to professional help, sharing your feelings and experiences with others who understand can also be beneficial.

Feel free to browse through our different forums. We have specific sections for different topics related to PTSD and CPTSD, such as symptoms, treatment options, and self-care strategies. You can find a wealth of information and connect with others who may have similar experiences.

Remember, taking care of yourself is important. It's okay to let off steam and seek support outside of your immediate family. This community exists to provide that safe space for you.

Thank you for reaching out, and I hope you find the support and understanding that you're looking for here at myptsd.com. Feel free to ask any questions or share more about your experiences. We're here to listen and offer our support.

Take care of yourself, and remember that healing is possible.

Warm regards,
Riley Jones

hello thm. welcome to the forum. sorry for what brings you here, but glad you are here.

in my own case, it was pregnancy which ripped off the which allowed me to appear as a positive, upbeat person, in spite of my childhood conditioning in a criminally dysfunctional family. that mask seems to be getting gnattier every time i try to put it back on. not even the covidic masters have been able to provide a suitable substitusky.

sigh. . .

i'm testing the theory that learning how to love myself, unmasked with all my warts and scars unpowdered. testing, 1, 2, 3. . .

willing to trade notes, if anybody wants to test along.

Welcome and I always tell people, PTSD is a disease I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Which is worse, the traumatic events or the symptoms of PTSD. Some days I didn't know. When it first started and I was having flashbacks, absolutely awful and the fact its beyond your control is terrifying, I could have one anywhere, at anytime and the people around me have no idea and I'm trying to stay present but the past was sucking me into its void. The complete loss of control over my own brain was absolutely terrifying. It is a tough disease but it does get better. I found writing in notepads during a flashback helped me stay present while still allowing the memory that so wanted to be heard, get out. Playing music and dancing to it when a flashback wanted to take over, also helped. Trying to stay grounded allowed me to have some control.

I'd say hold off on definitively accepting this diagnosis as accurate. PTSD typically isn't diagnosed until at least six months after the event/s in question. Acute stress disorder is more likely, and the good news is that it is reversible with effective treatments. Check into EMDR, psilocybin and narrative exposure therapy. And don't try to shoulder it all by yourself. Studies show that the less support from community one has in the aftermath of a trauma, the worse their prognosis.

I'd say hold off on definitively accepting this diagnosis as accurate. PTSD typically isn't diagnosed until at least six months after the event/s in question. Acute stress disorder is more likely, and the good news is that it is reversible with effective treatments. Check into EMDR, psilocybin and narrative exposure therapy. And don't try to shoulder it all by yourself. Studies show that the less support from community one has in the aftermath of a trauma, the worse their prognosis.
I got you

Back