• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Our apartment burned

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I would think too...
2 routes, combinable.

1. Pro bono or pay in instalments / later when the emergency is over, legal services. Especially since your behavior is legal, you are the wronged party, AND it is during an emergency in a worldwide health crisis.

2. Contact the press.
Human tragedies like that and literal evil landlords & insurance parasiting on tragedy are well selling stories, put right. And can help fundraising, practically.

Which also yes - fund raising.
Anyone publicizing your cause yet, other than having locals be aware?

3. Communities of color are awesome organizers.

Spread the word wide.
Tell other people of color part of that discrimination is plain racism. Ask who does race/ethnicity specific legal advocacy.

And in discussions, I'd totally start by on whose behalf you're speaking, like your husband and others / family and kin, just so PoC folk don't mishear when they hear you're white, yourself. ;)

Last edited:
That's what I would think too...
2 routes, combinable.

1. Pro bono or pay in instalments / later when the emergency is over, legal services. Especially since your behavior is legal, you are the wronged party, AND it is during an emergency in a worldwide health crisis.

2. Contact the press.
Human tragedies like that and literal evil landlords & insurance parasiting on tragedy are well selling stories, put right. And can help fundraising, practically.

Which also yes - fund raising.
Anyone publicizing your cause yet, other than having locals be aware?

There are people organising a donation drive for furniture and stuff once we're all in housing, and there's a government agency that deals with things like this. We got $200 each for clothing and toiletries from Superstore, which we managed to stretch pretty well with their clearance racks. People have been donating clothes in the hotel lobby which is great but there's a team going through them after someone found a bag full of things caked in blood and shit. The people who are down here helping all have stories about when they were homeless or how they coped after their fire or flood. I don't think many of them can afford much and I feel guilty accepting things from them.

Literally the only people I don't understand in this situation are the people who own apartment buildings that are currently at half capacity who won't rent to us because they don't want to rent to people like us or the empty apartments are reserved for AirBnB. The rest of the community has been amazing.

I get the feeling guilty, though no guilt needed... you are literally letting people help and do something in a hard time, aka not just accepting help, but helping others.

As to apt owners...

Apppeal to how good rep it would be for them to rent to you.

As a community of people, in so trying times?
They can gain reputation of beneficial patrons if not the saints by it ;)

... and arguing not from a desperate position, but aware of laws -and- reputation / effects shifts power balances. Aka makes them aware plain continued denial may not be as much a good idea as they thought.

Just keep it as emotion free as possible, and in the realm of options & alternatives to consider. Don't broadcast next moves or contacts.

Just make them aware it's in THEIR interest to cooperate.

I get the feeling guilty, though no guilt needed... you are literally letting people help and do something in a hard time, aka not just accepting help, but helping others.

As to apt owners...

Apppeal to how good rep it would be for them to rent to you.

As a community of people, in so trying times?
They can gain reputation of beneficial patrons if not the saints by it ;)

... and arguing not from a desperate position, but aware of laws -and- reputation / effects shifts power balances. Aka makes them aware plain continued denial may not be as much a good idea as they thought.

Just keep it as emotion free as possible, and in the realm of options & alternatives to consider. Don't broadcast next moves or contacts.

Just make them aware it's in THEIR interest to cooperate.
That sounds good in theory but we have no opportunity to do that. Their assistants or property managers hear Pacific West and they hang up on us. We're talking about the kind of people who don't bother themselves with talking to little people personally.

We've briefly spoken to a lawyer. Their advice is to not talk to the media just yet, they want time to figure out what legal options we have first. We are going to fight this if we can.

Please try not to feel guilty about accepting help from people who have been where you are.

When Hurricane Katrina hit, many of us on the Texas coast was able to help those thousands of people who had lost everything. Some including loved ones.

We didn't know a few short months later we would be victims of Hurricane Rita. She almost wiped us off the map. I lost everything. And I understood 'accepting help' on another level. I knew what it was like to be a giver, and was so so so grateful to be a receiver.

The people who help, understand how you feel better than anyone else. They get it. And it so awesome to give back and pay it forward. The world would be such a better place if the downtrodden were in charge.

The people giving to you understand and it helps them to heal their own losses. Trust me on this one.

Glad to hear a lawyer is now involved!! All of you 'survivors' are going to make some changes, and from where I am, cheering all of you on!!!

We've just been informed that there won't be any attempt at recovery for anything.

We've lost everything. The paw print paintings of all our old pets and their ashes, my entire craft and jewellery business, my grandmother's locket, it's all gone even though the fire never got anywhere near it.

I can't even talk to Mum because her mother needs to gossip, as per f*cking usual. Story of my life, oh you need support? You can wait. Oh you are scared of my pedophile husband? Ignore her she just reads too much. Oh you've just had surgery because of what my pedophile husband did to you that you imagined and have a hip to hip incision and can't climb stairs? You sleep in the camper, I need your bed in case my back starts hurting. You lost everything in a fire 4000 miles away from home? I need to discuss why your cousins who never had to deal with me as kids are so much better than you.

Another day. It's slowly getting easier. Someone on our floor of the hotel got informed last night that they had found her kitten's body and she started wailing. I wish there was something I could do for her.

Please please please sort out an evacuation plan for your pets. Do it today. If we hadn't had those carriers under the cages and tanks and the emergency pet supplies kit in the car we'd be as heartbroken as she is. I don't want anyone to feel that pain again.

Had a nightmare about running down an endless hallway banging on doors and screaming at people to get out but my voice was gone and the doors were made of pillows so no one could hear me.

This is not going to be fun.

I know there are a lot of things that need to be found and replaced...you survived and that says a lot you saved your family as you say because you are the protector...you should be so proud. I'm glad you found this forum. Talking like you are right now is good medicine....so you are hitting on all cylinders.

Sorry, you had a nightmare...frightening.

You have so much on your plate I know but have you been offered or found any type of therapy? maybe you answered already.

I know there are a lot of things that need to be found and replaced...you survived and that says a lot you saved your family as you say because you are the protector...you should be so proud. I'm glad you found this forum. Talking like you are right now is good medicine....so you are hitting on all cylinders.

Sorry, you had a nightmare...frightening.

You have so much on your plate I know but have you been offered or found any type of therapy? maybe you answered already.

Island health has had people here on non holiday days and we're already connected to mental health services, but the timing is awful and with covid as well it's all a mess. Also there are 85 of us so, I mean, they're trying.

Talking about it as a family could be beneficial especially to your stepson ...? I hope he's getting an outlet, someone to talk to.

Is there a way to be the "squeaky wheel" in the 85 with island health?

btw, don't want to automatically suggest medication but psychiatrists have meds to help with nightmares...night terrors....I'm just starting one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back