• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General PTSD and fear of coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My panic is through the roof at the moment and this is constant and not stopping. Have only gotten a few hours of sleep every night for over a week now.

So, yeah, PTSD and Covid-19 and mass panic all around you don't mix, at all. The mass panic is like gas for the fire. It causes the panic due to PTSD to sky rocket. Ugh!

I'm worried and taking serious precautions. This is the thing that put me in a coma for two weeks, I can't go through that again. I had the lower part of my lung removed so I feel like I wouldn't be able to fight pneumonia as well especially some vigorous strain...It's scary but I'm not concentrating on it. I'm still getting my food and meds but delivery is part of my strategy.

I’m definitely making sure that my elderly relatives and friends are stocked up and comfy. I just did a massive 3 family grocery run and drop off today, so hopefully everybody STAYS PUT!! *ahem... looking at my stubborn 95 year old grandma who wants to go to Walmart*.

I think the social distancing measures are prudent. Hopefully we flatten the curve and come out on the other side better for it.

Oddly enough my GAD isn’t acting up as much as usual either. I got stuff to do and extra people to look out for, so maybe I’m just distracted?

lostforgottensoul, I am so sorry you are in constant panic mode.....Im not quite there but have moments. It is so much worse when you are not sleeping well. Does anything help with that?

Im in WV where there are cases are only in the teens. Maybe thats why I am not in constant panic. However, Im pretty sure its because they just got tests a few days ago. Bars and restaurants closed last week, other non essentials closed Monday.

Thankfully by kids/spouses work from home. I am very grateful for that. We closed 2 major hospitals in the area last fall. My husband worked for one of them for 40 years. They kept him on through January. So since their announcement of closing last August, there has been much uncertainty in our lives. He just got hired for another job that he will start in 2 weeks, its an hour and half away. He can work from home after he is trained. We have not had any insurance since last December. Evidently our state unemployment office doesn't work well because he has only been paid for 2 weeks of 7. Hopefully they will not put a freeze on this position.

The one hospital we have open is packed to capacity without this. The ER often has a 6-8 hr wait and 2 days to get a bed. I am in a city with high number of elderly.

Scout I think the uncertainty of past few months has me a little numb. I sleep very well and have no motivation like usual, which is due to a traumatic brain injury sequel. I have been taking all the precautions and just trying to make the best of it, but now they are saying we need to sanitize all the food we bring in our home by wiping everything down with disinfectant. Thats just too much. Im over 60 and have a damaged lung plus lung disease so I know I dont stand much chance if I got it. I am feeling like some liquor might help too.

(((Hugs))) to you all....Turns out its the only safe hugs there are now.

@Mach123 I am a Christian but right now I find it very hard to count my blessings. The future looks so dark. A document of our government was leaked that says if we are not able to bring down the doubling rate of Coronavirus 70 percent of Germans will be infected until end of March. The death rate will go up because hospitals would have to turn away 80 percent of patients and 1.2 Million Germans will be dead by the end of May. Germany has a population of only 80 millions. This is just one of the possible scenarios (worst case scenario) and I fear there are similar scenarios for other countries. Let’s pray that they don’t become reality.
We have to remember that there is nothing such as the future but only possible futures. Best case scenario for Germany: it is possible to contain the virus with rigorous testing: Only 1200 dead then.

@Sweetpea76 I agree. I find it easy to be not worried when I a doing something, child watching, homeschooling, preparing for the lessons... but in the evening when we are just relaxing it is hard not to think of this.

Hi there. I was just thinking.of you and hoping you and your family are safe and healthy.

I'm guessing your husband is having a hard time with everything that is happening around the world. It is probably one of his biggest fears/triggers and his ptsd and OCD symptoms are extremely elevated right now. Which can't be easy for you. Be sure to do small things for yourself. Long hot bath. Favorite dessert. Paint you nails....

Sending light and love your way. ❤

Thank you @LuckiLee. Yes, we are healthy and so are our loved ones.

My vet is stressed by whats happening right now. I think he wakes up feeling bad in the morning because he asks me to hold him every morning and seems to be quite anxious and it’s hard for him to get up, like he wants to hide under his blanket.
But after a while he always seems to get better if you hold him for a while. Gets up and fixes breakfast then. He also has trouble sleeping. He thought of trying medication again but has not made up his mind now.

We both are worried because there are politicians demanding that the schools should open again in order to create herd immunity. Here in Germany we are not allowed to homeschool. One if our kids is already in school and we have to send him there. If you don’t child protective service takes the kids from you.

Politicians can demand all kinds of thing... that’s what they do. They huff and they puff. I wouldn’t worry about it until they start taking action. Germany seems very on top of the situation, and I can’t see your government blowing all that because of some grumbling. Here in the US, on the other hand, that is a distinct possibility. Watching the political reaction to all of this is like watching a three ring circus. I’m just thankful my state governor is on it! It’s every state for themselves, with varying rates of success. How’s that for logic?

How are you? I hope that everybody is doing well.
So they really decided that schools should reopen... and we have to send our kids there because it is the law. Homeschooling isn’t allowed in our country. Parents have lost their custody and children have been take into care because parents decidedly homeschool.

I am not sure if Germany is on top of the situation. We have a good medical system that keeps people from dying... but we have community spread of Coronavirus and from what I have read it is very difficult to make the health insurance pay for a corona Test so that a lots of people aren’t tested and true numbers may be higher.
I am not sure if our chancellor wants herd immunity or if she is in favor of containment. Here is what she said: (with English subtitles). How do you think?

She’s more logical than what we’re getting here. There is a massive push to reopen and there are protests going on in my state. Germany is being lauded for its testing efforts. Here in my county it is very very difficult to get tested. Our health department doesn’t have tests. I believe our hospital emergency room has testing for people presenting severe symptoms.

Don’t get me started on health insurance. A lot of people in the US don’t have it, or it is tied to employment and they lost it when they lost their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back