General PTSD and fear of coronavirus

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
lostforgottensoul, I am so sorry you are in constant panic mode.....Im not quite there but have moments. It is so much worse when you are not sleeping well. Does anything help with that?

Sorry, I didn't see this. My supervisor at work helped (who should be a therapist). She helped me focus on one thing at a time and that worked. I had to slow my brain, basically. So, all good now!

Thanks for asking! I usually make a plan and zero down that all the way. So, since there is no plan to make, have to think of one thing at a time, if that makes sense.

brat17

MyPTSD Pro
lostforgottensoul- I am so glad you are doing better. Im glad you have the support from your supervisor. Are you sleeping better too?
My anxiety has increased. The longer this goes on, and watching the news for updates has me in almost a panic. I avoided news a couple of days, then today saw where people are protesting their state governors decisions and want businesses opened up.

I feel like my stress level is wearing me down. When I do sleep, I am sleeping a very long time as if I am absolutely exhausted. Im working on some meditation and calming tools. Stay healthy.

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
Are you sleeping better too?

My normal sleep meds werent enough anymore to force me to sleep and I was having to take extra every night hours later so I found some Melatonin in my house so added it to the mix and its just enough to get me to go to sleep the first time, everytime. On my own there is no way I could go to sleep as night time is the absolute worst of all PTSD symptoms but my normal cocktail of meds wasnt working to force me to sleep so adding that was just the thing.

I am not advising anyone add anything to presciption meds. That said, if you dont take anything to help you sleep, Melatonin is great by itself as well. I got two more bottles of it last time I went to Walgreens. Its over the counter.

So, yep, sleeping well now!

Sweetpea76

What’s causing me the most irritation is the crowds of dickheads out protesting and all the short sighted politicians pushing for a fast reopening. Our governor, who has been doing an outstanding job up until now, is starting to buckle under the pressure. Seriously... it’s a few goddamn weeks. Reopening everything quickly is going to undermine all the good we’ve done. I get it, I really do. I’m broke and laid off. My unemployment is hung up and I have no income right now... but even my broke ass can hang on to reopen slowly. I’d rather be broke than have the death toll shoot up exponentially.

scout86

MyPTSD Pro
all the short sighted politicians pushing for a fast reopening.
As luck would have it, one of my state legislators is leading the state's "get back to work" charge. I emailed him the other day and expressed that I've been pretty pleased and proud of the science based, apolitical response in this state, up to now. Then I explained that the deal with managing a situation like this is, if you're doing a good job, it looks like there's nothing happening. Which is why it looks like not much is happening. I suggested that we don't blow it now. (Then I emailed the governor and thanked him for doing a good job.) It would be cool if I could actually believe anyone's going to listen.....

lostforgottensoul

MyPTSD Pro
As luck would have it, one of my state legislators is leading the state's "get back to work" charge.

My therapist told me last week that the governor of NY during the great depression came up with an amazing plan. Finding odd jobs for people and got people back to work while the US government had no idea what to do. He figured out so much that others started to follow his lead and that was one of the main things that helped to end the great depression. He was Franklin D. Roosevelt, who then later became president. It was more intresting as my therapist was telling me. But, it showed me that local legislators can figure things out even better then the government. Im sure that google can be more specific. I just remember him telling me and this reminded me of it!

Sweetpea76

At the very least this should be a wake up call for people about saving for a rainy day, debt-to-income ratios, household management, and personal emergency preparedness. Right about now, I’m thanking my stars that I’m debt-free and a saver. I’m glad I had a freezer full of food, a stocked pantry, and I have the skills to cook, garden, sew and menu plan on a tight budget. It also gives me ideas about what I’d like to do in the future as far as being better prepared for any other weirdness that pops up. I’ll leave the hard core survivalist shit to my vet, but this is definitely a nice practice run for any impending doom that may come up.

brat17

MyPTSD Pro
Yes the idea of opening things prematurely scares me too. Thankfully, I don't work so I will just continue on my own. I am worried about those who will be sent back out to work though and the consequences of all of this.

lostforgottensoul- I am a smoker and get episodes of chest congestion. My cousin told me about Mucinex for chest congestion that works for her. Its a 12 hour pill. I took it at night and it prevented congestion when I was on the verge of getting bronchitis. But I discovered it went well with my melatonin and xanax combo and did not dry me out. So I have been using pretty regularly and sleep well with that.

Never_falter2

MyPTSD Pro
Where I am from the factories were never ordered to closed (some decided to close but not by order of the government) but movie theaters, restaurants, shops selling non essential goods where. Some shops have re-opened now but some people are calling for everything to open again. I think that those people also forget that a pandemic is also bad for the economic maybe even worse then a lockdown.
People don’t feel like going to the movies or dining at a restaurant while there is a pandemic out there.

How do you feel about the new normal. I think I am fine with it. When I heard what has happened in Wuhan I felt so sorry for those in lock down and wondered how they coped but now it has just become our new normal and I just think: Okay, so this is our life now *shrug*. Did any of you have the same reaction?
My vet is stressed but actually not by the lockdown but by the fact that there is the coronavirus out there.

So I told you they are gradually opening schools again. I do not know yet when and if our son will have to go again. On twitter the hashtag #Schulboykott (boycott schools) trended and both teachers unions and student unions spoke out against it.
I am not convinced that Germany has it under control. From what I heard we test twice as much as you but where I live there is still community spread of Coronavirus. There are cases appearing our of nowhere and we do not know how and where they got infected.

I know people in other countries think we have an amazing social security net but I would rather have freedom.
In nearly all countries world wide people are allowed to homeschool. In many countries schools aren’t opening till September. My son is doing very well academically. I do not know why we have to send him to school in the midst of a pandemic.

brat17

MyPTSD Pro
In US talks of reopening that differ by state, but beginning May 1 about everywhere I think. Schools are closed here for the rest of this year. I still fear this invisible creature. For years I lived with some negative thoughts. Not really trying hard to achieve happiness because it always seemed taken away. (irrational of course). I finally felt like I had that licked and accepted how things are, was feeling relaxed and feeling happier and more at peace. Now this. Sure is challenging my thoughts again.

Lionheart

Sponsor
I am very anxious about the virus as I am at high risk for complications... my age, plus the fact that I am sedentary, overweight, have high blood pressure, diabetes, heart and lung disease, sleep apnea etc. I have taken to praying a lot these days, something I never did too much of before. I've never been much on faith, but in my present position I can't afford to take any chances.

Thankfully I have a new smart TV and a gazillion channels to watch and there's things to do to keep me occupied at home. Perhaps I will try focusing on my blessings rather than my fears, but with PTSD I expect it to be a struggle. I wish it didn't have to wear on me so much, I had just started getting out and about rather than isolating at home and now I am grounded and have cabin fever.

Oh well, still I am in no hurry to get back out there until things have quiet improved. Hope all stay safe and healthy!!!

Never_falter2

MyPTSD Pro
@Lionheart777 We pray a lot those days too. In fact as a family we end every day with a prayer for the scientists and doctors fighting the corona virus. So happy you are praying too and would be even more happy if others chose to join us in prayer.

Some people over here demand that churches should open again. I cannot understand what they are thinking. Do they think it is godly to infect others with a possibly deadly virus?