• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you having for dinner? (wanna share your recipe?)

It’s some pseudo-egg substitute business that does an amazing job at eggy-texture stuff -like scrambles, omelettes, quiches, & strata- that isn’t better done by aquafaba or Bob’s Redmill egg substitute (both of which are baking stars).

My egg allergy is reeeeeally mild, so I save the reaction for immunizations, since it’s mild but increasing (lowest level of anaphylaxis, swelling but no impairment of the airway, and it will self resolve in about 3 days). Since my dairy & watermelon allergies are lethal, at this point, it just seems prudent to save the egg thing for life saving meds. But man, oh man, do I MISS deviled eggs. And, until now, crepes.

JUST Mayo, with green peppercorn brine added, is as good as Hellman’s/BestFoods. Without the brine, it’s still one of the best vegan mayos out there. But with it, it’s amaaaaazing.

@Friday Food allergies are such a pain for those with them. But good for me to know products for visitors/ allergy folks. I don’t know if we have “Just” products here, I bet Whole Paycheck would if anyone does. My daughter is a vegetarian, well, mostly, some vegain tendencies, also a bit of bald eagle in her as she has succumbed to the call of seafood occasionally. Blame Croatia, they ate by the docks while visiting and seafood was hauled out fresh and cooked right then and there.

Scored some 99cent per pound chicken on a long drive today (10 hours, or so; local price 6.99-12.99) ... so it’s <woot!> BAKED BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS on the menu.

Super easy... just a bit tedious. Best started the night before, or morning of, to give the wings time to get cold in the fridge so the bake that makes them deep fried crispy on the outside doesn’t overlook them inside.

- steam the wings until 180F / 80C (they’re scary white blobs at this point. Don’t be put off. They get better tomorrow.)
- cool
- joint into 3 pieces : drummette, double bone, & the tip to be saved for stock or tipped in the bin. <<< Can be done raw/before steaming, but it’s easier after they’re cooked.
- Stick in the fridge overnight or for the rest of the day to cold up
- Bake cold wings at 400F / 200C until skin goldens as they fry in their own fat <<< Already cooked the night before, it’s just rendering the fat & crisping the skin. Meat will warm up and glossy as a byproduct.
- Lil bit o’salt
- Toss with buffalo sauce to coat (or serve “naked” with sauce on the side)
- serve w/ celery sticks & cool ranch, or creamy Bleu cheese dressing*

* I’m trying out this creamy walnut herb dip, minus the maple syrup. I’ll either add sugar or agave. Maple syrup belongs on pancakes. And sausage. Not IN stuff. Makes me feel like I’ve got a coolant leak and need to get my car fixed when there’s maple syrup flavoring things. Ick. Nope! Pass. But otherwise? I use cashew cream in so many things, I’m excited to try something a bit different. Buffalo Cauliflower Wings with Walnut Herb Dip - California Walnuts

Last edited:
Cheating version of ajo blanco

instead of soaking almonds over night I used ground almonds and water and blended with ice for speeding the ‘chilled’

no idea of measurements but -
Some ground almonds ( about 3/4 cup) , a handful of breadcrumbs from the freezer, a teaspoon of Sherry vinegar, a dash of extra Virgin olive oil, a green apple ( cored but not peeled) a couple of cloves of garlic , ice and water and blended till smooth. A small handful of grapes halved on top of each BIG bowl .

better than gazpacho - and that’s hard to beat. ( I also made and froze a batch of gazpacho)

We made an actual whole almost civilised meal. We had wine with nuts while cooking , then pulled some of the gazpacho i made yesterday out of the fridge to have as a primo, then um - a chicken burger 😂, but with beautiful slaw and salads , And we are taking a break before clafoutis for dessert ( but I’m only having a taste because I’m pretty darn satisfied.
Guess what, mee?! Eat a nice unrushed meal, with a healthy starter and it’s enough.

Cooking for my daughter and family. Grand daughter is in horse shows all weekend, so I know the Bean won’t really have time to cook. Made lasagna with Beyond Beef, she is a veg. Stuff doesn’t brown, so I had to keep tasting for the texture. Used a different sauce than I normally do, not a good thing. My BFF raves about the Victoria Marinara at Costco, so I had some on hand, not impressed. Fortunately I had a jar of Prego, which is getting hard to find up here, added it in, and of course I doctored it up with veggies and herbs. In the oven now is a pound cake that appeared randomly on my FB as the best pound cake out of four recipes tried by the Kitchn. Gotta say, I licked the beater and the bowl clean. And my kitchen smells divine!

I was intending to just do a rainier cherries on puff pastry thing (cherry jam or compote)... but... as I was glancing around online for ideas (on how to not f*ck it up)? I stumbled across THIS.

I haven’t made custard with the JUST Egg stuff, yet. And I’ve got about 5kg of cherries. So it would hardly be a loss if I ruin it. So we’re going to give it a go! 😁

I’m fooling around with some different things. It’s summer and it’s just my wife and I and the girls now and everyone wants something different to eat so the cabbage soup and other instant pot stuff is out for now. I don’t want food getting old in the fridge and I don’t want to be throwing food out. Luckily bjs had some stuff, prepared dinners, frozen things and so on, that I’m willing to try now even with my food sensitivities. I just had stuffed cabbage. Very nice and a reasonable price. I can get 2 or 3 servings out of it. I also tried some grass fed free range hamburger that was very nice (because I had a coupon). : )

Back