• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What is the opposite of Self Sabotage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, for me, every time I find myself thinking I'm doing well, instantly I can't keep it up.
I wonder if that’s self-sabotage so much as an early warning system? IE only noticing you’re doing really well because something -or several somethings- is threatening that?

Could also easily be self sabotage... especially with certain kinds of trauma histories it’s the good times that start to get seriously scary. Because the shoe is going to drop, you just don’t know when, and often? The longer the good time, the worse the bad time once the shoe finally drops. Personally, I used to provoke certain people/situations just to get the blowup outta the way, so that it wasn’t 10,000 possibilities of bad LOOMING, but just 1. That’s -phew!- done now. And I can actually get on with things, and relax/enjoy the good times in the early part of the cycle. Or to manage the level of f*cked up that’s going to follow.

^^^ But I’m also x-military.. and that’s part of the deal. You get wound so tight that they deliberately build in controlled stress explosions to blow off steam in a directed & deliberate way; and it simply becomes common knowledge/practice, that you have to blow off steam early & often if you want to be at your best & remain in control. So in addition to what your command does to keep everyone fairly even keel, but still ready, you & all your friends are also doing it PRN. Because otherwise? It’s like old steam engines. Either you vent the steam on purpose, or the whole machine explodes. AKA stress-cup-stuff

^^^And, conversely? Instead of a healthy coping mechanism, it can also be a super unhealthy coping mechanism... crisis hopping/ chaos/ thrill seeking... managing stress not by blowing off steam, but by keeping the threat level high, in emergency mode... in no small part because I KNOW how to handle an emergency, but normal life freaks me out.

But it would still probably be worth considering if “I’m doing well!” is the thought that pops into your head when your subconscious has noticed something threatening your doing well, like rising stress levels / over commitment / something you’ve -mostly- forgotten about that is going to throw shit for a loop if steps aren’t taken / et cetera. <<< I first noticed this with head colds. Each. And. Every. Single. Time. the thought pops into my head that “Wow! I haven’t had to blow my nose in a really long time.” I’m going to be knee deep in tissues within 48 hours. I don’t have any symptoms I’m consciously aware of, but apparently my subconscious has just gotten a memo from my immune system... and sucks at passing messages along. ;) Yo! You’re coming down with a cold that’s going to make your head explode in mucous! Arrange your schedule accordingly. And since you haven’t had a cold in a while? Stock up on the good tissues, not that sandpaper crap you usually buy. >>> After the head cold thing finally registered? I’ve noticed I have other early-warning-systems. Especially around things I avoid avoid avoid (trauma stuff, stress stuff, guilt stuff, shame stuff, etc). The thought that pops into my head is almost always cheerful, like it’s trying to sneak the message in under my avoidance systems; and is almost always the exact opposite of what is about to happen.

IE only noticing you’re doing really well because something -or several somethings- is threatening that?

It's not the case as much any more but for most of the last couple decades, Mr would try to destroy anything that feeds me... at least it felt that way.

Could also easily be self sabotage... especially with certain kinds of trauma histories it’s the good times that start to get seriously scary. Because the shoe is going to drop, you just don’t know when, and often? The longer the good time, the worse the bad time once the shoe finally drops

Yeah, could be that, I mean that has been true for me. Don't think it's the whole explanation though. Unsure.

I'm trying to think how long this has been an issue, and at least to some degree i think its been life long.

But I'm quite sure it's gotten much much worse in the past 20 years. The last 10 in particular.

@NatBird hope to get your attention to again ask what you were referring to re focusing being helpful in dealing with self sabotage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back