1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your weirdest ptsd tip?

Discussion in 'General' started by Swift, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Congruency

Congruency Tumultuous Uprising Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Watching "B" rated movies.
    Watching inspiring movies.
    Watching comedies.
    Watching fun movies which are purely entertainment.
    A good belly laugh from my husband's excellent joke telling skills, the kind where I eventually start crying because I'm laughing so hard.
    Watching Dexter. For some reason this calms me. It's got to be that it's about serial killers. A distraction of a different type of killer.
    Breathing exercises.

LuckiLee, Freida, freyjacat and 5 others like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Didn’t know

Didn’t know Member

This is similar to walking on carpet in bare feet . While sitting, I put both feet on the floor and stomp a few times. It brings me back to the present and distracts me from the emotional response I am spiraling into.

Swift, Freida, Sweetleaf and 3 others like this.
  4. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Well-Known Member

Please tell me Hamsters are some sort of candy and not the furry rodents...

5. Bkinder

Bkinder Well-Known Member

Mints do help me a lot. I gave all my kids mints before state testing- scores were better this year! Mints really help anxiety/nervousness, -I have found!

Sweetleaf, Swift and Freida like this.
  6. shatter eyes

shatter eyes Well-Known Member

Mint leaves.. rosemary.. basil when i have access seems to help. I rub the leaves and smell my fingers. Not weird at all.

But i think smelling my socks is weird. It calms me and brain goes into science mode wondering why it smells the way it does.

berlinda and Sweetleaf like this.
  7. Juls33

Juls33 New Member

They were furry rodents. lol

Ronin likes this.
  8. Bkinder

Smelling socks- to each his/ her own- that’s not one I’ll try, unless very desperate and all else fails, but it made me laugh!

berlinda, shatter eyes and Sietz like this.
  9. SpiritSong

SpiritSong I love flowers! Premium Member Sponsor $100+

I have some rice in a cloth bag along with some REAL vanilla extract. I keep it by my pillow. When life was simple we used to bake cookies with vanilla, and there was no such thing as imitation vanilla back then. So only the real stuff will do. As I doze off to sleep, I get to smell the aroma of vanilla and it is so relaxing.

The other thing I do is to hold a rock as I sleep. This one is aquamarine and it is a pale green in color, like sea water when the sun shines on it. Anyway, it grounds me, I think. That particular stone in any form is also said to be a calming agent. You would be amazed also, that my hand holds on to the stone and does not let it go as I sleep. Only once or twice since I got it, maybe a month ago, has it ended up in the bed or on the floor. Usually I wake up with it in my hand!

LuckiLee and Bkinder like this.
  10. Bkinder

I take wildlife photos-certain ones are grounding

shatter eyes and LuckiLee like this.
  11. intothelight

intothelight Just Being Me Moderator Sponsor $100+

I do "earthing" which is basically being barefoot outside. Grass, sand, streams, etc. and just focus on my feet and what is under them. There is some scientific reasons to the health benefit of this having to do with free radicals, but mostly I just like being barefoot. :D

Sietz, shatter eyes and Ronin like this.
  12. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

Whenever possible, I refuse to act like it’s an emergency... unless it’s actually an emergency.

Sietz likes this.
  13. LuckiLee

LuckiLee I'm a VIP

I wish my guy could do that @Friday! He reacts like everything is a matter of life or death. It worked and worked well while he was serving. Now it just causes more anxiety. Ugh!!

Show Sidebar