• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What's your weirdest ptsd tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do "earthing" which is basically being barefoot outside. Grass, sand, streams, etc. and just foc...

I did that too before my accident. Ptsd makes it hard to ground myself outside because i am on alert. It really works to feel the texture and tempetature of grass and soil..

There minerals in soil and i was told our unserving energies can be taken away touching nature.

These are GREAT! there is a LOT of neuroscience behind the mints and lotion and feet rubbing.

You are all using sensory strategies to calm the body. the mint is strong and alerting so it literally keeps you in your body. there is a huge part of part of our brains devoted to taste and touch (lotion, feet fuzzies, hugging, furry pets). As long as it feels good to you, those systems can be used to help calm yourself. another calming system is our sense of pressure (like hugs, pounding the pavement when running, burrowing under heavy blankets).

there is lots of info on-line about "sensory diets" as designed by occupational therapists. Ha! you are being therapists! not weird at all.

yes! the chomping is activating the very calming pressure sensing systems in your brain

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, so I thought I'd start a thread about the strangest stuff that helps us with PTSD.
My tip is: mints...

Mints....I'm turned onto mints and keep some in the car, some in the house, and some in my purse....but not are the only great for staying grounded, they just taste so good....so I have to portion them out.....or I'll just eat a whole bag..... all gone! I find mentally climbing into a tv show which I can relate to and know has a happy ending without a bunch foul vulgarity is helpful, watching a Netflix television serious that has nothing to do with real life drama a great way to spend time and focus which helps me stay grounded, writing limericks makes me focus and laugh, taking photographs of animals and landscape and colors...., and pretending Christmas is coming in a few days and ordering something I want for me like a new music stand, new pastel pencils, new drawing erasers, and fun art stuff, a Bluetooth speaker to blast myself with music...(not needs)....online at Amazon (or whatever store has what I want )…..and being home to greet the mailman or going to a zoo, wildlife habitat, or nature museum or going thrift shopping, getting a pedi, getting my hair washed and braided.

Shave with an old safety razor, it will over time teach you to stay in the moment. If you don't pay close attention you will be cut as a reminder.

This is probably a terrible tip but it's what I do. Not completely the reason because I enjoy using the badger brush and shaving soap but truly it will force you to be in yourself.

I quite like celebrity gossip... I'm getting too old for it cos I haven't a clue who these young whippersnapper celebs are :laugh::roflmao:
But when it's like OMG did you see Beyonce's new hairstyle and OMG did you see what the Kardashians were (weren't?) wearing and people getting sooooo into it, it makes me laugh, cos it's like "There's no serious problems on earth? Really, Beyonce's hairstyle matters THAT much?" Righhhhhhht :laugh::roflmao:
Dunno why, but that superficial, superfluous, ridiculous stuff really cheers me up.

In a similar vein, I don't "get" sports... Just. Do. Not. Get. It.
On TV, usually lots of grown men running round after ball and turning it into the biggest emotional drama on earth who gets to kick the silly thing most often... To me this is just amazing and hilarious... I'm just like who CARES who kicks it most often, who CARES who can run faster or drive faster or throw further or jump higher... and they take it soooooo serious :laugh::roflmao:
So whenever I have insomnia, I watch some sports event and look at em run... from right to left... from left to right... watching the guys in the red t-shirts running after the ball and getting upset if the guys in the blue t-shirts get the ball... Sometimes I feel like an alien :alien: watching some foreign species get all worked up about "who gets to kick this ball more often in a given amount of time??" :laugh::roflmao:

For some reason, these 2 things tap into the "drama" part of my PTSD brain and turn that into something humourous... OMG did you SEE Beyonce's hairstyle??? OMG did you SEE that the guys in the red t-shirts kicked the ball more often??? OMG OMG OMG OMG

:D

Haha @Sophy that made me laugh out loud :)
My 80-year old nan loves the royal family... so my queer indie punk arse knows way too much about it.
Stuff like that is awesomely distracting - light, fluffy and uncomplicated.

Another weird thing like that is HP fanfiction for me. Currently I'm trying to riddle out the whole "parts" thing and don't have the right book (lol) so I'm reading a lot of Harry with DID, or little Harry being rescued and taken care of. It's actually filling a void and showing me some ways in which I could try to relate to my parts or little Swift.

My 80-year old nan loves the royal family....
Ooh, yes, the royals are uh-maze-ing :laugh::roflmao:
Don't you luuuurve Harry and Meghs? (And their advocacy for vets with trauma?)
And I looove how Harry and Will have grown as people and both done therapy to overcome Diana's death.
And Charles and the leaked Camilla phone calls from way back when?
Love it all. They rock.
The royal family is totally queer indie punk!!! :D:cool::)

My 80-year old nan loves the royal family....

I watch TV very little (maybe two or three times a month), so when I need a diversion, it is a much more novel experience-and really very much more entertaining. I think I watch shows that also fill a void....not all of them....but some.

I watch Anne of Green Gables (AnnE lately), Heidi, and any of those stranded theme movies where they are always rescued-I can feel like I've climbed in the boob tube and be stranded on that island with them and get with nature to survive....HAH...….or watch Shirley Temple...so cute and always a happy ending!
and Grace and Frankie on Netflix for something funny and not lasting so long as a movie ...its about.two older hilarious women with lots of drama (but none like mine)….such different lives....refreshingly funny.....

I don't watch sports, except for Olympic figure skating-so very mundane and boring, hate reality shows....they just seem dumb, don't like mysteries much-too much violence sometimes, and can't stand the nanny fix your kid shows (they piss me off watching inept parents who are clueless letting their kids run amuck), and forget the the fix up your house shows or "redo shows" of any kind.....redo a person's wardrobe because they are a bad dresser-just seem like such a waste of air time...…………………wow....this is the first I've thought about TV in some time.....
but stories where the underdog wins....oh, yeah! bring them on!

@Bkinder I am right there with you on Grace and Frankie I love that show. Wish they had all sorts of past seasons that I could catch up on but alas, I am current with all that have been released. I watch historical shows as well I love The Crown and Reign and will dig further into additional shows when it gets cold and snowy out again this winter. I also love the Marvel movies and series probably because I used to believe that one day a knight in shining armor would save me from my past.

@Bkinder I am right there with you on Grace and Frankie I love that show. Wish they...

Marvel characters rock! I love the Incredibles- so silly but they got SUPERSUITS!!! - and the Arrow! I love the Arrow! And past episodes of Magnum PI....
and AnnE- a new Netflix season is here!!!! :D:D:D:D:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back