• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Chat, check-in, and hang out

Man, I must be dehydrated as I can't seem to get enough to drink. I have already had two big glasses of strawberry-flavored water and I still feel the need for more. Perhaps I will feel better physically if I can get myself properly hydrated.

Been feeling crappy. Stabbing pain in shoulder blade and lung pain. Went to ER saturday. Bad emphysema. Quit smoking almost a year ago. Thats not the cause of pain though. Dr. said either pleurisy or muscle strain.

@Brat I am so sorry to hear of it..., I know pleurisy is mighty painful as are some muscle strains. Are you able to take anything for the pain? At any rate, I sure hope you are feeling better soon!!!

Lionheart-thank you for your kind words. They offered me pain meds but I declined. I did ask for muscle relaxers but they are not working, so may not be muscular. The IB Profin is not doing much.

Stabbing pain in shoulder blade and lung pain. Went to ER saturday. Bad emphysema.
Ever get atelectasis & splinting?

Most of the time atelectasis just means I can feel air moving “around” the collapsed areas of my lungs. But sometimes the collapse causes such crazy pain (feels, pain wise, like a collapsed lung) that my ribs & intercostals “splint” around the atelectasis, trying to protect it / support it… which then causes all kinds of weird pain as THOSE durn muscles cramp (feels like pleurisy. Nearly always? The nerves involved either shoot up a shoulder blade, or right under my bra line).

The best fix I know of = opiates, ibuprofen, albuterol, & respiratory therapy (percussive esp for plugging).

((Steroids “should” work to lessen the inflammation, but for me that’s just borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, as corticosteroids make my belly swell, pressing on my lungs. Totally worth it for global inflammation, but localized around the area of collapse, just reduces how much air I can move as I lose about 1/3 of my lung volume from the internal pressure. IE if my lungs are 90% occluded? Steroids are great. 4% occluded? Snort. Nope! We’ve just made the situation worse, not better.))

With opiates I can usually sort myself in about 3 hours. Since everything is cascading from the pain response, remove that, and I can work everything out very effectively. I’ll keep a couple in a pocket over the next few days just to jump on top of any “cramp” I start feel burning, but often don’t have to use them. Without opiates I can usually clear the blockage in a few weeks, and then about another week to get the sore intercostals and inflammation down. Which isn’t bad, per se, I used to spend months all f*cked up before working wih a respiratory therapist. But I’m still a ginormous fan how freaking effective I can be by first turning the pain down. It’s a lot like stitching yourself up… it CAN be done without numbing the area first, but it’s a helluva lot easier to Novocain up.

Last edited:
Back