Curiosity & Complacency

I don't know about curiosity - its more about problem solving - doing logic work - or puzzles or playing games where you have logic puzzles or need to get from here to there.
I used to do a lot of troubleshooting on complex machines and I have a PLC (programmable logic controller) simulator I play with too. But thats for when I am doing xceptionally well PTSD wise because otherwise its too frustrating.....

I very much like the idea of having something in place to remind me to be curious and try new things / learn new things etc.

I'm wondering if a simple reminder, once a week might help. Saying something like What do you want to learn or do or which new place would you like to go to?

Or, attaching thinking about it to a regular task you already do, like the dishes or a bath or add on a few minutes at the end of meditation.

Shall give it some thought.

I suppose too, what kinds of things do you want to be curious about?

@Teasel If you know any young children, spend some talking with them. You'll be surprised what you'll learn learn through their unusual questions. I recently learned that the Arabic alphabet (spoken in "P"alestine), does not contain the letter "P". They call Popeye cartoons Bobeye!

I hang out with my young grandkids - they are curious about absolutely everything and drag me along through their questions and imaginations to find the answers.

I also read, read, read. And then I read some more. Always nonfiction. My mantra is "some women want diamonds, I want books." There is so much to learn about everything!

I do read a ton and you’re right, that does help.

I very much like the idea of having something in place to remind me to be curious and try new things / learn new things etc.

I'm wondering if a simple reminder, once a week might help. Saying something like What do you want to learn or do or which new place would you like to go to?

Or, attaching thinking about it to a regular task you already do, like the dishes or a bath or add on a few minutes at the end of meditation.

Shall give it some thought.

I suppose too, what kinds of things do you want to be curious about?

That’s a really good idea and I’ll have to think on that because right now my answer is everything lol.

I’m as curious as 9 cats. And as likely to be killed by it. The difficult thing for me is NOT feeding the elephant’s child, just for the sake of sense.
Same. I spend all day either playing video games or learning. I need things to be packaged in a specific way tho. I'm trying to teach myself wilderness survival now to prepare for being homeless. I watch a shit ton of survival shows and YouTube videos and podcasts.

I have a book with edible plants and another two about medicine in remote villages. Those ones are way more accessible to me as I am already medically oriented. I got a go-bag which is a huge medical kit with a ton of drugs prescription and non for a bunch of different ailments.

A tiny tent and mylar blanket, Life Straw, spices for trade, lighters and butane, gauze and bandages, antibiotics, wood for splints, soap, dry shampoo, all my important documents, USB sticks in a Faraday pouch with tons of survival PDFs on them including surgical walk thru, scalpel, stitches, alcohol, opiates, etc. Even if ur broke you can build a bit at a time. I have a pulse ox and thermometer too. And loads of other shit I can't remember Rn.

Getting into prepping was definitely interesting but I only consume that stuff infrequently as it's liable to kick off my OCD about societal collapse. Instead I try to focus on the skills component instead of the "we're all gonna die!" shit.

Martial arts (my primary weapon is a staff and machete, since age 8, so now I train with a heavy bladed spear and sword as they are a more utilitary weapon), Krav Maga (since age 19) learning edible plants and fungi, learning different languages (I know Hebrew, Polish, ASL and now am learning Arabic and Hindi, and re-learning Finnish from when I was a kid).

My motivation for being curious these days is two-fold: to make myself a strong candidate for survival despite poverty and to enjoy my down time as much as possible by playing as many video games and watching as much TV as possible lol. Getting as much therapy as I can so I have the mental fortitude to handle myself if I become homeless and lose everything I own. Etc.

Last edited:
Back