• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Groceries in the time of covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellSue

Not Active
I have been swinging from low anxiety while shopping to over-the-top ridiculous anxiety since they started putting arrows and things all over the grocery store floors. Sadly, I feel that it is when I am shopping where they have clearly marked arrows but no one cares that I get the most agitated - there's a little OCD leaking out. Why am I the only person here who sees the damned arrows???

It's a really strange time because I hate shopping, in general. I almost always fight with at least moderate anxiety but I don't wear headphones, anymore (though maybe I should start, again). But then this virus stuff makes it feel like the 20-foot bubble I live in the center of is completely reasonable and that anyone that can't figure out the difference between 3 feet and 6 feet is obviously a dick ?.

Is anyone improving their shopping experience during this virus scare? Got any tips? So far, I feel like I just internally micromanage every aisle to a much greater extent than I used to. It just sucks.

I keep telling myself to do that and then I tell myself that if I can't muddle through I'll be losing some vital skill... BUT I'm sure that curbside pickup is here to stay and that picking out grapefruits in the middle of a crowd isn't a high level skill in real life. Thank you!

We do curbside pick up also. We also try to go less often. And go to smaller local stores if we can, it seems they often have less people.

For produce, this week, we’re trying a local produce delivery thing where I’ll get in-season fruits and veggies delivered to our house once a week. I’m hopeful for that. Then even less shopping since the fresh stuff will come automatically

What is curb side pickup?
I think it refers to what we in the UK call the kerb - ie edge off pavement (to us curb = prevent or stop). But a kerbside pickup would be a prostitute.

Back to the question of shopping. I struggled at the beginning. But now I am a little more relaxed. I’ve stopped worrying if there is a queue behind me while I decide what bacon I want. They can pass. I no longer feel this may be the last shopping opportunity for months. I get enough for the week (or so) and not for the rest of the year.

We have a system in our local co -op where they ask you not to enter the shop until someone else leaves. On one occasion I stood outside and when eventually someone came out she informed me she was the only shopper inside. They are allowed 30 at a time! I felt stupid, but you cannot see from outside, now I step inside and risk being told off . This is hugely significant for me, as I hate to break rules- not diagnosed with autism but friends have suggested it.

So, yes, grocery shopping is stressful,but getting easier.

That sounds like a great idea. We don’t have anything quite like that here, but I do live in a rural area, so it could Perhaps be in more urban areas.

I have been swinging from low anxiety while shopping to over-the-top ridiculous anxiety since they started putting arrows and things all over the grocery store floors. Sadly, I feel that it is when I am shopping where they have clearly marked arrows but no one cares that I get the most agitated - there's a little OCD leaking out. Why am I the only person here who sees the damned arrows???

It's a really strange time because I hate shopping, in general. I almost always fight with at least moderate anxiety but I don't wear headphones, anymore (though maybe I should start, again). But then this virus stuff makes it feel like the 20-foot bubble I live in the center of is completely reasonable and that anyone that can't figure out the difference between 3 feet and 6 feet is obviously a dick ?.

Is anyone improving their shopping experience during this virus scare? Got any tips? So far, I feel like I just internally micromanage every aisle to a much greater extent than I used to. It just sucks.

I shop for shelf foods on Amazon and they are delivered to my door. I shop at a local farm for meat, eggs and they deliver if you buy so much meat....and I stock it in my freezer. They leave it in my garage.....and I leave the check in a place for them to pick up. I have a neighbor who goes shopping regularly so I get them to pick up a few fresh things or something I need for a recipe. Then about once every 6 weeks...I go into the grocery store and spend money on fresh stuff, so I can cook and freeze meals and have good tasting healthy meals. I only go to the grocery store when the car lot isn't so crowded -usually earlier in the day, to get stocks of stuff I can't order. I might go to 2 stores on that day if one doesn't have everything....you know the shelves are unpredictable. On grocery store day, I'm usually angry at someone about 6 ft, mask not on right (when you wear it on your head, below your nose, or as a bib....it's not on right).....and people's untamed kids.....I work to get in and out quickly to avoid aggravation...I hear ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back