• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do You Cope With Employment

Status
Not open for further replies.
well that's what I did with my last job. I was that determined to work like a normal person rather than work at home because I couldn't hold down a normal job out in the world.
So I got a job but just couldn't carry out the hours and ended up a mess and I dont want that to happen again.
But I think I may be ready to give it another go.

Do you think it's worth while telling a prospective employer about the PTSD so that i dont feel so in the dark... that if I'm having a bad day then atleast i dont feel that they think I'm a nut case because that's how I feel when I'm having a bad day??

Or do you think that will send them running??

Is mental health more acceptable in the work place these days?

difficult 2

you're for some reason in the habit of asking impossible questions to answer ;-)
maybe that's because you couldn't figure out the answers yourself either
anyway there is no answer to that question. It all depends on the people you will encounter in your workplace.
I could suggest not saying anything because there is nothing to say really. You are hired for your capacity, your knowledge not for your looks in- or outside. But that also depends on the job profile. If it is just for your qualifications and you only have to perform a task they ask you to do, then I wouldn't say anything.
Some managers want a variety of people so you can be yourself and be appreciated for that. Some want a team in which everybody has more or less the same character (preferably that of the manager himself). In the latter it could happen that you have to tell something to explain yourself when you behave differently then they expected.
I would say nothing until the time they ask for an explanation. Everybody has sometimes issues but that doesn't mean it is any of their business. It's private unless it interferes with your work. You don't have to excuse yourself for who you are. Let the manager come to you if he wants to know something. This only means that the manager has obviously a problem he wants to solve not you. It is his job to solve problems he gets paid for it.
If you can, try to find a job with less hours with the option to expand.
Everybody behaves sometimes strange because something happened at home. People frown but say nothing. If it happens a lot, you can make a casual remark like I am in a bad mood sorry, or it's private I don't want to talk about it if you don't mind.
You're only working with these people they're not your friends.
And if mental health issues are more acceptable these days all depends on your co-workers own problems and life experiences.
Ignorance can be a problem, people can be very judgmental, because if something is unknown people tend to be afraid and reject it.
But in general every human being had once in his or her life mental and physical problems to some extend. But if they talk about it openly and accept it depends of the (sub) culture you're in

wadoo good luck. To me it is important that you keep trying something. It is worth the effort. Hopefully, it won't trash your mental strength if things don't go as planned. My motto is always one of honesty. I believe that by being honest I don't have to fret about who I've said what to. Besides my memory won't even begin to let me remember such things. All I have to remember is to be honest. Treat work like a small town. Details aren't for everyone but you know intuitively who you can trust and share deeply with and those you can't. I am in a postion where I am afraid to go back to work because of the stress and multitasking that I previously did. I don't want to end up back in the hospital...but then again maybe this isn't the job for me and I am kidding myself about it being my career.
Good Luck,
Patty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back