How to sedate myself or similar

Medications I've found helpful to manage massive PTSD symptoms when I was beyond being able to regulate them myself are a) benzos, b) Quetiapine, c) beta-blockers, d) taking a low dose of Mirtazapine as a sleep med in the evenings (15 mg).

I too have used alcohol as a coping mechanism during reeeeally bad phases. I'm lucky that I don't seem to have those "substance addiciton" genes that make some people's brains go into a pattern of addiction relatively quickly. Usually after 2 - 4 weeks, my body just starts responding with major nausea at the idea of having yet another drink and then at that point alcohol has stopped being useful as an emergency measure, but usually by that time it's a) done what it needed to or b) given me enough time to line up Dr's appt's and get more professional help.

It can be hard to notice these patterns, but alcohol makes you feel "better" initially (while you're drinking it and for a few hours, depending on how much you've drunk. About 12 - 24 hours later, the post-alcohol phase can lead to a pretty major increase of the bad symptoms that you were trying to chase away with the alcohol. Most people don't associate this with a post-alcohol phase... They just think "Oh crap, there are those horrible symptoms again - I'd better have another drink, cos that's what made those symptoms go away yesterday..." So that can set you up in a vicious circle of drinking to get rid of the post-drinking symptoms - without even realising that's what you're doing.

Also, if you're struggling with anxiety, I really recommend trying to cut out all caffeine. Some ppl are fine with caffeine, but many who have anxiety find that any amount of coffee/ caffeinated drinks per day spike their anxiety something crazy. Again, like with the post-alcohol thing, people usually don't associate it with having had coffee at all - they just think "Oh crap, here's that awful anxiety again". You only really notice it if you go 2 to 3 weeks without any caffeine, until it's completely out of your system and then you test yourself say having a single cup of coffee on Tuesday and then seeing how it affects you throughout the day... going a couple of days without again and on Friday testing another single cup of coffee.

Also, eating a lot of carbs/ sugar/ sweets/ chocolate/ junk food can be a very comforting thing, but it can also make your blood sugar spike and crash constantly in the background which can also massively trigger anxiety waves "seemingly out of nowhere". Reducing the amount of crappy food you eat, the sugar you add to things, chocolate, sugary drinks etc so that your blood sugar levels out to more stable levels can also be really helpful.

Back