• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Our apartment burned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about it as a family could be beneficial especially to your stepson ...? I hope he's getting an outlet, someone to talk to.

Is there a way to be the "squeaky wheel" in the 85 with island health?

btw, don't want to automatically suggest medication but psychiatrists have meds to help with nightmares...night terrors....I'm just starting one myself.

Stepson asked to go to stay with foster parents while we try to find a place, we agreed that being somewhere familiar and stable while we're in the hotel trying to figure things out was a good idea. Within 12 hours he had bolted to stay with friends. We're in contact with him and his friends though. He's safe.

Because we already have a connection with mental health, we get to skip the queue and go right to our regular workers, they've just both had the long weekend off. When they're back we are at the top of their docket.

Our doctor gave me 120 clonazepam to help with the stress and it's been helping me sleep too. I didn't have one before that dream so I'm going to be more careful about taking them.

Thanks for talking, it helps a lot.

Oh also my favorite rat blog is sending us a package of hammocks for free to replace the ones we bought in December. I bawled. If anyone has small animals that use hammocks and hides, look up ratpotatoez on Instagram and Tumblr, she is an amazing human being and deserves your business.

Hi @Kamorth. I just saw this post and want to let you know how deeply sorry I am for all of your losses. It sounds to me, though, like you are doing an amazing job keeping it together and helping your family through this.

I don't know what to do. It's been 48 hours but it feels like years. Everything is going in slow motion.

Everything is gone. Everything. I keep crying over the maple leaf I saved on our first family outing with just the four of us. A 3 year old dead leaf.

I just can't even imagine how you are feeling.

The donation drive has found a rat cage for us already. We're going to put our two old men in it since our solo boys come out of their evacuation carriers more often to socialize with us. (If anyone out there knows rats, no we don't choose to keep them separate, our local SPCA gives us the rats that refuse to integrate with other mischiefs because we are home a lot and have the time to spend with them, they usually get 6+ hours a day out with us so they don't get lonely or depressed. We currently have two solos and a bonded pair, all boys). I don't know what we would have done without the evacuation kit we built 2 years ago. It consists of carriers for each animal (bonded boys share) that were kept under the respective cages and tanks (we also have 2 leopard geckos, a bearded dragon, and a hognose snake) and a box of emergency heat pads, extra food dishes and water bottles, and dry food for a week and we kept that in the car. Our pet food store gave us live mealies and more kibble when they found out. They also sent a pallet of dog and cat food to the hotel we're all staying in so when this is all over I don't care if we end up two towns over we are buying all our supplies from them. They're a little one off store run by a pair of sisters.

This is so awesome. My animals are the most important thing to me and I can't imagine the worry for them in a fire. I love your idea of an evacuation kit. I have carriers, of course, but I think the other stuff you've added is such a great idea.

We live in BC and we're getting a lesson in just why Canadians have the reputation they do. Each of us is being given $150 for clothes and $50 for toiletries. There are victim support, mental health, housing, and income assistance staff in the building most of the day in one of the conference rooms and some random locals have started a donation drive group on Facebook that is organising clothes, shoes, and childcare essentials for now and discussing furniture donation solutions to kick in once we've found housing. Because of the long weekend we're being put up in a hotel (currently closed to anyone except residents and support workers) for 2 weeks and they're giving us three hot meals a day.

One day at a time. That's all you can do and it sounds like you are getting some help to get you through until you can figure out what you need to do.

Just remember, you will get through! As an additional resource, you have the folks here and you have your mental health people. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Everyone is so stressed and at each other's throats. I feel like a chew toy that two dogs are fighting over trying to keep my family together.

Every time we go outside or there's an ad on the hotel tv for something we had it feels like we've lost everything all over again. I've been spending a couple of hours a day sitting in the lobby making balloon animals for the kids (although I've made way more for adults at this point) and there have only been 2 families who have been able to move on, one went to another province to stay in a family home, the other got into a cottage in a camp ground. No one is renting to us. The place we might maybe have is two towns over and currently under construction, and almost double what we were paying.

It's getting impossible to find hope.

Balloons for the kids so they remember the new toys and joy even if all went to hell? Lasts a lifetime.

Keeping family together? So much. In so many ways.

Having a place even if in construction yet? Is a solid something.

Of course you are torn by grief, loss, anger, despair.

But you are moving forward also.
And doing so much with so hellish and tragic happening.

I pray that you will find yourself not only fully restored, but you will be in a better place once this initial transition is over.

You are making the most of a difficult situation.

Hugs. ? ? ?

Thank you to everyone for all the things you're saying. I'm still venting and hurting and scared but I don't want anyone to think I don't appreciate the support.

I think my biggest challenge today is facing the fact that my genetic family just isn't there for me. 19 years ago my aunt's house burned to the ground as she watched. I was 18 and I did everything I could to be there for her and help her get through it all. Now when I need her to tell me how she coped with it all she won't even look at my Facebook messages. My QPP and husband keep fighting because one's stress response is run and the other's is push everyone away, neither of which is a good idea right now. I feel like I'm being ripped in half trying to keep everyone together.

There was a CTV news report on how landlords are refusing to rent to us because we lived in that specific building. It had a bad reputation 20 years ago but my neighbours are good people. I guess 10 years of never being late on your rent or needing repairs in your unit only counts if you're able bodied, middle class, and white.

Thing is, even if she told you maybe that would be jack all good.

As that was her cope. For her situation.
And the best cope or any for -you- ain't hers... but your own.

You will find your way through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back