• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

T going on maternity leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie226

New Here
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been on this forum and I've actually been doing semi okay.
Starting next week my T is going to be on maternity leave. Because I'd been feeling okay lately, I didn't think I would be worried about this at all, but I'm starting to struggle again and I'm worried that I won't be okay when she's on leave.

I don't really want to bring these feelings up to my T though because I don't want her to worry or think about me when she should be focusing on her new baby. It feels selfish to burden her right now and make her think I won't be okay without her when she's about to have a baby.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips about how to handle the period when your T goes on leave. She's suggested some resources for me like Betterhelp and a few hotlines but it's not really the same as talking to your T that you've built a relationship with for so long.
Thanks so much for reading!

Do you know how long she's on maternity leave for?
She said she'll be back in early June. I'm actually moving to a different state in July so our plan right now is to "close" in June and I have been looking for a new T that I can start seeing after I move.

@Ellie226 If you were doing really well and she feels that you can handle the separation, maybe she didn’t feel the need to arrange you a substitute. I don’t consider “Better Help” adequate, but I haven’t tried it. I also have attachment and abandonment issues, so my thoughts on your situation may not be the norm.

@Ellie226 If she is gone for a long time, I would think that she might? However, if you were doing really well and she feels that you can handle the separation, maybe she didn’t feel the need to arrange you a substitute. I don’t consider “Better Help” adequate, but I haven’t tried it. I also have attachment and abandonment issues, so my thoughts on your situation may not be the norm.
Thank you for your perspective! I think that could be it. I was doing alright for a couple months and I genuinely believed I would be fine so I'm sure she would have too. I think now that it's coming up I'm getting more anxious about not having regular therapy. I've gotten so used to it and my T has been really great so I think I'm getting scared that I won't be okay without her. I'm also not looking forward to finding a new T. Retelling everything and building another relationship from scratch just sounds so difficult and exhausting. I don't know how I'll do it. But anyway I'm rambling now

She said she'll be back in early June. I'm actually moving to a different state in July so our plan right now is to "close" in June and I have been looking for a new T that I can start seeing after I move.
Ok I understand. That should work out though. It's not the easiest thing to do changing therapists but it's worth getting a new one. And yes you do end up having to re-inform you new T about stuff but that should be over in a few weeks. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back