• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Toxic Positivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
So first of all, has everybody heard of this?

I am writing a book on managing depression (it's almost done!), and I was talking to my therapist about how I actually added a chapter on toxic positivity after experiencing it ad nauseum from several people I know. About how dangerous it can be and how it could push someone over the edge if said at the wrong time.

He agreed with my characterization of this kind of dangerous positivity, but then said, "Oh, I love that term," and went on to say he'd never heard it.

I'm not sure why, but it really bothers me that he has never heard of something that I thought everyone knew about. I've actually found research in professional journals that dealt with it, so I know it's not just a trendy psych thing.

I’ve heard it, had it applied in a group i was in. they always let you talk but at the end you had to say something positive. Typically I refused. also don’t care much for the affirmations scene. I don’t see it is as useful with cptsd

I’ve heard it, had it applied in a group i was in. they always let you talk but at the end you had to say something positive. Typically I refused. also don’t care much for the affirmations scene. I don’t see it is as useful with cptsd
Oh, it's not useful with anything. And "toxic positivity" is along the lines of "everyt"hing happens for a reason" or "everything will be fine" or "just stay positive." Everything has a silver lining and people who use it are usually dismissive of others' feelings. "Smile. Nothing is that bad."

Oh yah, I've heard this all over the place && assumed it was common knowledge as well. The real thread here is invalidation & dismissal. Erasure. Avoidance. Being positive is positive. Optimism, hope, resilience. Those things are fundamental. But invalidation is negative. Not positive. See the catch-22? Yeppo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back