• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Vegan Safe Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to thank you folks for the discussion in this thread on the downsides of almond milk.

As a result, I've replaced my regular homemade almond milk with homemade oat milk, and I'm loving it.

In addition to the reduced impact on the environment, it's also much cheaper meaning that I can use organic oats for it, it tastes great, and it is much faster in the sense that no pre-planning is required like needing to soak the almonds 8-12 hours before making almond milk.

On the contrary, oats apparently become very slimy if you soak them (all the starch). So it's just straight with 1 part oats, 4 parts water into a blender. Strain. Done.

Thanks guys :tup:

That's awesome, @bellbird . :) Do you use the nutribullet to make it?

I noticed the store bought Good Karma brand flax milk, although it's unsweetened, has vanilla in it. Dammit. It's great for smoothies and when baking sweets and such, but not so much for savory dishes. Just a heads up for others so you don't ruin your mashed potatoes like I did. Blech.

Do you use the nutribullet to make it?
I sure did :) it makes very light work of it, and there's actually much less pulp left in the strainer when making oat milk than there is when making almond milk, though both pulps can be used in other things.

I've read the oat pulp goes nicely in pancakes, so I'll need to try that.
Just a heads up for others so you don't ruin your mashed potatoes like I did.
Blech!
Suppose you can now check off "eat vanilla flavoured mashed potatoes" from your unintentional-bucket list :hug:

I thought about this thread today when I was making my sunflower seed "parmesan cheeze". I snapped a pic to share the recipe...pardon the sloppy handwriting, I was in a hurry...and I used the nutri-bullet instead of food processor, so I only had to pulse it about 4 times...and I doubled the recipe so I won't have to make it again for a while...

IMG_3079.JPG

for ways to use nutritional yeast:)
? On POPCORN ?

<swoon> With a heavy hand on the Pepperman... nutritional yeast + blended ground peppers = Happy happy B-Vit bliss. Even when I still ate butter? I strongly preferred this combo, once I ran across it!

Pepperman is a Frontier Co-op spice blend I don’t know if they have in your neck of the woods? I’ve made a copycat version, when I’ve been out... but I’m rarely out as I order it 500g at a time ;)
Enliven daily fare with the gusto of Pepperman's zesty combination of sea salt, black peppercorns and chili, Anaheim, and red/green bell peppers.
Frontier Co-op Pepperman Seasoning, Organic 1 lb. - Frontier Co-op

Hey guys,

sorry for gate crashing, I'm not actually vegan, I'm not even vegetarian (though I do eat very little meat). Also please apologize if it's been mentioned before, I didn't have the headspace to go through all 8 pages :oops:

But everytime I see this thread pop up in "What's new", and particularly every time after reading @Sideways struggles with family, I keep thinking about sharing my experience.

In my personal experience, many people oppose something out of principle, as in this case, if they're being told something is "vegetarian" or even "vegan", they dislike it as a default. While at least in my culture there actually are many many dishes that are vegetarian and vegan and that the very same people would eat without complaint or second thought.

I found it easier to just not "announce" that something is vegetarian/vegan but just deal with is as if the dish is the way it's supposed to be. If that makes sense? But it has saved me from many discussions in the past with self-declared "carnivores". Also, in terms of substitutes, my experience is many people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, if they don't actually know for many (but not all) things ;)

Also might be helpful with own struggles of missing something? Instead of trying to find replacements for meat/dairy/... just look for completely different dishes that are vegan by design?

Not sure if at all helpful, sorry if not! :oops:

And mega sorry if completely the wrong place - please let me know and I'll edit of ask to have the post moved.

And to actually contribute something, a few dishes I really like:

All kinds of baked and fried veggies. Big fan of baked sweet potato and squash. Also eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini fried in a pan. Steamed potatoes and spinach. And Pasta.

And I love chia seeds :) Super tasty and healthy breakfast when soaked overnight.

And I've skimmed the dairy alternative discussion...has anyone mentioned hazelnut "milk" as opposed to almond? I really enjoyed the taste with cereal when I was trying to really reduce dairy for a while.

All good:)
has anyone mentioned hazelnut "milk" as opposed to almond? I really enjoyed the taste with cereal when I was trying to really reduce dairy for a while.
Yup - Mums mentioned her kids like hazelnut milk. And it makes a lot more sense where we are, because we have native hazelnut trees that wouldn't require anything like the water consumption that an almond tree farm needs.

And yet, it's all almond at my local. I've managed to get back into soy after my rocky start. Which is definitely working for me now. Coffee is different, but still the essential morning staple that it always was.

I reckon my family issues would all be sweet if I was allowed to cook when we do out get-togethers. Certainly as a kid I was 'permitted' to cook dinner for the family (cough):rolleyes:

At some point I got banished from the kitchen and my sister took over - she either cooks, or appoints my mum to. The family narrative of me being hopelessly unreliable at everything gets in the way (dang). Otherwise I reckon I could knock up a handful of meals that would go down just fine without anyone noticing/caring that the meat was missing...except now that I'm vegan...in which case, yeah - the omnivores of the family seem to need to make some kind of point(sigh)

What a lovely thread. I am on my own journey down this path. For inspiration and input I like to check out The Happy Pear and Pick Up Limes - both have youtube channels as well as websites. The Happy Pear are a couple of very positive high energy male twins and Pick Up Limes is a very calm and considerate female. Neither of them tries to lecture or rant about wrong choices - which is something I find very de-motivating.

I tried these two recipes today and they were a hit with both my and the hubby's taste buds and I wanted to share.

The radishes are growing like crazy in the garden and I'm getting tired of just regular salad, roasting, or sauteing, and found this little jewel - would also be good with some g/f (or regular) pasta added, some red onion, and chopped radish greens, too:

Cucumber Radish Salad Recipe (VIDEO) - NatashasKitchen.com

This is the vegan sour cream recipe I went by...yum!:

Vegan Sour Cream Recipe - The Conscientious Eater

I tried these two recipes today and they were a hit with both my and the hubby's taste buds and I wanted to share.

The radishes are growing like crazy in the garden and I'm getting tired of just regular salad, roasting, or sauteing, and found this little jewel - would also be good with some g/f (or regular) pasta added, some red onion, and chopped radish greens, too:

Cucumber Radish Salad Recipe (VIDEO) - NatashasKitchen.com

This is the vegan sour cream recipe I went by...yum!:

Vegan Sour Cream Recipe - The Conscientious Eater
Thank you @Tornadic Thoughts ! I have bookmarked the radish salad site/recipe. We have ordered organic heritage radish seeds, of rainbow colours, I might add, so these radish salad recipes will really come in handy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back