• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Just wondering..... Does getting your sleep regulated help with your anxiety and depression? I don't sleep and I'm really off the hook in both regards to the point of throwing in the towel. I keep hearing sleep will improve both and that the lack thereof exacerbates both. I just don't know what to do anymore. I've tried teas, supplements, low sound level lullaby music, low sound level podcasts, etc... I remember a long while back when I saw a psychiatrist that he thought a lot of what I was dealing with in the near-term could be helped by sound sleep. He suggested Seroquel, but it wasn't available in smaller doses at the time, noting that 50mg would've knocked me out into the next day's afternoon. None of the common sleep meds had worked for me. Any thoughts in terms of what I can use that is non-prescription? I don't have insurance right now so have to wing it. Tks.

I have used lorazepam for years as an occasional sleep aid and it makes a world of difference for me. I take it on my third consecutive sleepless night and it resets my body so it remembers how to sleep then I sleep on my own for a while again. A 30 pill supply can last 6 months to a year. But I definitely require it. Recently my prescription was changed to benzodiazepine but I haven’t taken any yet. I changed countries and the prescription standards are different.

Just wondering..... Does getting your sleep regulated help with your anxiety and depression? I don't sleep and I'm really off the hook in both regards to the point of throwing in the towel. I keep hearing sleep will improve both and that the lack thereof exacerbates both. I just don't know what to do anymore. I've tried teas, supplements, low sound level lullaby music, low sound level podcasts, etc... I remember a long while back when I saw a psychiatrist that he thought a lot of what I was dealing with in the near-term could be helped by sound sleep. He suggested Seroquel, but it wasn't available in smaller doses at the time, noting that 50mg would've knocked me out into the next day's afternoon. None of the common sleep meds had worked for me. Any thoughts in terms of what I can use that is non-prescription? I don't have insurance right now so have to wing it. Tks.
I wish I could help. Just recently my prescription for what I was taking to help me sleep got discontinued(a week ago) and I'm feeling lost. I never thought sleep could have such impact- but that was before I was spending hours trying to fall asleep, before having nightmares and patchy sleep, BEFORE. Okay, so even my worst sleep now isn't as bad as when I first started coping with my trauma. However, I did notice that: when I started taking sleep meds(at least ones that worked for me- have tried lorazepam in past and just didn't do it for me) I started falling asleep at regular times and sleeping more peacefully. That lead to being able to wake up a couple of hours earlier than usual feeling more rested and the regular sleep schedule really helped my efforts to feel less anxious/depressed, become more balanced and helped me have more energy for work search(and later on working). I did start taking my PTSD/overall anxiety-depression meds at the same time and going to T, so of course, that helped in stabilizing as well. However I am in a much more stable place and high functioning right now(well, it's a process- maybe I'm middle-functioning now, but a LOT better than before) - and still, without my sleep meds the last days I've been going to bed 3-4 hours later, never earlier than 2 am. Leading to getting up late on mornings I can, and undersleeping on mornings when I just need to be up. I've also noticed an overall increase in my anxiety level- a lot more day-to-day problems are stressing me out more than needed, and more than they would have in the past weeks. I'm trying to improve that, started making tea and doing yoga before bed again, trying to do something until I can get an alternative prescription or adapt- but it's a bit rough right now. So not sure what the answer is as to what will help you sleep(probably it will be a combination of things) but I can say with certainty that for me regular and good quantity sleep has been really essential for my mental health. Again, even without proper sleep, I am a lot better right now- but sleep still does make a significant difference.

I sleep fairly well these days. I take ibuprofen pm every night because I think my difficulty sleeping was due to pain. These days I sleep pretty soundly, and I'm having (or remembering) dreams again.

I love to sleep. When I'm at my worst, depression-wise, sleep is the only relief I have.

Feeling a bit shaken up this morning… Woke up from a dream in which I was living in a totalitarian dictator ship, and any citizen who wanted to live was required to strangle a small dog to death without demonstrating any emotion. If the citizen refused to kill the dog or showed any emotion during the process of strangling the dog to death, he or she was in executed on the spot. It was a bit unnerving, to say the least

I have been sleeping for days now, because I am sick. I have had some nightmares. I finally got enough sleep by this afternoon, so I came here to be with everyone here. I have missed all of you. You have been on my mind a lot. I can't seem to get into my account, so I just used a nickname. My FB account has been hacked, as has my email address associated with this website. These have been my waking nightmares. None the less, life goes on.

I usually go to bed around 9 pm, which I know is quite early for a guy my age (I'm 41 years old).

Last night was no different for me. And within a half an hour or so, I was sound asleep.

Also, I got my full eight hours of sleep in with no dreams, I'm happy to say.

Right now, it's 8:27 pm in my time zone, so I'll be going to bed in about a half an hour.

Back